Rear cylinder is extremely hot - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear cylinder is extremely hot

Hello all. I have a 2006 Vulcan nomad that I have had for around 3 years. Over the past couple of months I have noticed that the rear cylinder exhaust is now running significantly hotter than the front cylinder. I dont have a temp gauge to measure how hot is actually is compared to the front however, I can tell you that my leg feels like its being cooked. It never used to do this. I have read up on some of the forum posts that mention checking the injector to see if it is a hot injector. I dont believe this is the case since this is a new problem not something ive been dealing with since i got the bike. But if im wrong, please let me know. Also, I had notice that there was a small puddle of coolant on the ground under my bike one day. It wasnt a lot, maybe a tablespoons worth. I thought maybe it was an exhaust leak where it connects to the head, but I dont get any back fire when riding and I sprayed some soapy water on the connection, started the bike and didnt get any bubbles. im not sure what to do or what the cause might be. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Does your fan cycle on and off when you are in traffic ?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes it does, but not rapidly.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:19 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/Gray
If you can get ahold of a cheap compression tester, check the compression of both cylinders, to see if there's a big difference. Then, you'll know if the problem is deeper than heat. As far as the puddle, sounds like more of a cooling system issue. If it isn't the water pump or radiator leaking, it might be simply inefficient coolant circulation, caused by low coolant. Start with the simplest and cheapest solutions, first. I used to own a Nomad, and had to tighten hose clamps, sometimes. Just be careful not to over tighten and crush pipe nipples! I will say, I sometimes noticed engine heat off of my 1600, but not all of the time, and not serious. Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:41 PM
Top Contributor

Sorry you are having issues with your bike I would try to confirm that the rear cylinder is actually running hot maybe you can get a cheap Harbor Freight laser thermometer, I have one and it use are endless car, bike, home.

does that bike have stock exhaust pipes with catalytic converter if so maybe its defective/ restricted ????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DESERT ANGEL; 11-09-2018 at 11:32 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT ANGEL View Post
Sorry you are having issues with your bike I would try to confirm that the rear cylinder is actually running hot maybe you can get a cheap Harbor Freight laser thermometer, I have one and it use are endless car, bike, home.

does that bike have stock exhaust pipes with catalytic converter if so maybe its defective/ restricted ????
Im going to get a laser thermometer soon. It feels significantly hotter then the front cylinder just by putting my hand next to it though. Also I'm running V&H pipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode