Loose sloppy shifter - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By andyvh1959

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
SSS

Loose sloppy shifter

I have a 2002 Meanstreak. The shifter is loose where it clamps on to the shaft but bolt is very tight and the shaft is sloppy where it goes back through the engine case. Any fixes for this problem, perhaps a bushing where it goes through the engine case, your thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Vulcan VN1600 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Pearl Ivory
If the shift lever shaft is sloppy in the engine case, at best, you "might" be able to cut strips of shim stock to fit around the shaft and push it into the engine case (back side of the outer cover). The outer case that you see the shaft pass through is just a clearance hole and does nothing to support the lever shaft. The only way to get the lever shaft out and repaired, is to take the engine out of the frame, strip the engine down to the cases and access the clip that retains the lever shaft inside the engine case. This is one of the design faults of the VN1600 engine, the shift lever shaft cannot be repaired/replaced with the engine intact in the frame.

A possible rigged up fix; get a split bushing made to a sliding fit on the lever shaft, and the bushing OD lightly press fits into the outer engine cover. Then you may be able to push each bushing half into the outer engine cover to give the lever shaft more support. If the split bushing works you'd have to use Permatex or Loctite to bond the bushing into the outer cover.

The shift lever shaft on my VN1600 is sloppier than I think is right, and my 1600 has 31,500 miles on it. This winter when I pull the engine out and apart to fix the failed 2nd gear shift fork. But the shift lever shaft is another item I will fix when the engine is out.
SSS likes this.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
SSS

Andy, thanks for the ideas. I have owned the meanstreak since 02 and I also have about 42K miles on it. Everything you said makes total sense and I will try your ideas as I really don't want to remove the motor at this time. Again thanks for the response, much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode