4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004/Kawasaki/Vulcan 1600 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Black
Garage
Synthetic Oil Affecting Clutch?

I just bought (today) a 2004 1600 Classic. The previous owner told me not to use synthetic, as he had it cause clutch slippage in the past. Has anyone else had this issue? Is he pulling my leg? Or is this valid and I should use regular oil? Or?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
I can't speak for the 1600 but I switched to synthetic on my 9 and saw better performance and smoother shifting.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:47 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Color: Blue & silver
Garage
Synthetic oil isn't the issue, friction modifiers are. If the label says something about enhancing fuel efficiency, keep it away from your clutch.

Gripping the throttle, his knuckles went white with desire; the wheels of his Vulcan exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45...

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:36 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
I read an article a while back about some synthetics viscosity levels and inhibitors. Been awhile and can't remember much of the article anymore. But I do remember that my decided fix for the problem was to get synthetic oil made specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches. It has worked for me so far, but it can cause some light oil leaks on some 1500's that may need patching up. Usually older ones that have a little more worn O-rings and fittings.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:47 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
well let's see... the previous owner tells you that the bike had clutch slippage when using synthetic, and you seem to think he was pulling your leg... What would be the harm to believe him and use recommended bike oil for a wet clutch bikes? Why the need to use synthetic?

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:00 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
another thing, since a Trade Panel ruling on the word 'Synthetic' printed on oil containers determined that 'Synthetic' on any manufacturers container is a 'Marketing term only', let us know what oil you are thinking of putting in your 1600 because not all oil jugs that say 'Synthetic' are actually synthetic. The consumer has to do their own oil chemical composition research on what's actually in the oil jug first before buying it thanks to the Trade Panel ruling. In other words... 'Synthetic' printed on oil jugs has no meaning whatsoever now.
OPG likes this.

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:18 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
what I mean is this,, some guy said he uses 'Synthetic' oil in his wet clutch bike but is it real 'synthetic' or 'marketing synthetic'? because some oil companies print synthetic on their jugs but its actually group II base oil that's steam cleaned and does not harm to wet clutches, so when he tells you that synthetic is ok for your bike, and you go out and buy a jug of oil from a different manufacturer that says 'synthetic' on the jug and it really is Synthetic oil and your clutch starts slipping, do you see the confusion here? some oils that say synthetic are not and some that say synthetic actually will slip your clutch, so be cautious of who is telling you they use synthetic oil cause they may not actually know that it could actually be Group II dino oil that's marketed and sold as 'Synthetic'. Buyer beware.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 06:58 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Color: Blue-Green
Garage
OK, the 1600 manual states to use: API SE, SF or SG class, or API SH or SJ class with JASO MA. And the viscosity to use is SAE 10W-40. As long as you abide by those specs, it makes no difference if its synthetic or not. And it will not cause clutch slippage. A good synthetic oil does not break down as easily as standard oil which is one reason why some folks switch over. But either is fine to use especially when we are changing our oil so often it seems.
dlars, glhadiator and RandallRick like this.

1996 Vulcan 800, Blue/Green
JUST SOLD: 2016 Indian Scout, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 2006 Triumph Rocket III, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 1967 Honda 305 Dream, Black

"Going up the country . . . "
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 08:57 AM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
Just avoid any oil that says "Energy Conserving" on the API seal. Those contain friction modifiers that will cause a wet clutch to slip.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Top Contributor

Suggest using oil which is JASO approved. These are approved for motorcycle use because they do not have friction reducing properties and contain metals which aid in clutch use. These are not necessarily motorcycle-specific oils. Example - I use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 synthetic, basically an oil for trucks but is JASO approved. Other riders obviously have different preferences - this is NOT intended to start another motorcycle oil war!

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode