Oil/clutch fluid leak left side - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Red/silver
Oil/clutch fluid leak left side

Hi all,

Really sorry about the length of this but needed to setup my issue...

I bought my Nomad back in July. It had almost 32000 miles. VERY well taken care of and extremely clean engine. Not clean like it was just cleaned as there was some dust in the engine compartment and thereís never been any evidence of a leak. I mention that as background for the rest the story.

Iíve put about 500 miles on it and it runs and rides great.

I did an oil change a few weeks back and put maybe 100 miles on it since.

I went to go for a ride the other day and checked my oil level in the site glass and there was NO oil in the site glass!!!

I was scratching my head because thereís been no leaks whatsoever on my floor or anywhere on the bike and it wasnít blowing smoke. So I let it back down onto kickstand, brought it back up and still no oil showing in window. I know it can be hard to see new oil in window so I watch as I tilt the bike and no oil. I was able to see it every other time I checked oil (about every other ride).

So now Iím freaking out at what could be going on, so I put about 1/2 a quart of oil in and then I could see the oil in window.

Started her up and let it run for a little while, shut it off, let it sit for a few, then checked the oil. It was above the window. So now I had to empty some out. Emptied some and rechecked, but still high!! Ugh, kept emptying and rechecking and by the time the level was right, I had taken out a little more than 1/2 a quart exactly where I started!!!

Seems like no harm no foul. Took it for a ride, runs great. Checked oil after the ride and it was still fine.

Been for a couple of rides since and no issues. Went out yesterday and started it up and let it run for a few minutes to warm up, then shut it off. I walk to the left side and saw about a tablespoon of oil on the floor right under kickstand.. It was very clean and light colored. The oil I drained out the other day was darker. So I think itís brake (clutch) fluid.

I thought I must have spilled some oil, but could see a few drops running down the frame. Wiped it clean, went for a ride and came home. Sure enough there was a little oil dripping from same spot. About a teaspoon dripped until it stopped.

Today, I pulled the left cover off and there was some oil on the inside of it and right below what looks to be the clutch slave? And some hints of oil around where hose goes into it.

I looked in every little crevis on an under the engine and I couldnít find ANY evidence of an oil leak OR clutch fluid leak. Started the bike back up, let it run for 10 minutes revving it up to about 2k every now and then as well as pulled clutch lever in and out a bunch and there is no leak anywhere. Not one single drop and the whole area is bone dry..

I was worried that I had over filled oil and that may have blown a seal, but I dont see any evidence of that either.

Iím baffled and have 2 questions.

1. What the heck could have caused oil to NOT show in the window? Is that a common thing?

And 2 any thoughts on the oil leak? It smells like brake fluid, but I canít be sure. It may be coincidence but Iím still worried about that oil thing.

If you made it this far, I really appreciate and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:27 PM
BOTM Winner
December 2016

Location: Where the Horses Are Fast and the Grass is BLUE !!!
Garage
Cool

Well,
We have an intermittent oil leak...
That IS strange !!!

One perhaps really dumb question...
Are you checking the oil level while the bike is on the side stand???
If so, that might be the root of the all this...
Must be checked while the bike is LEVEL...
I know, really dumb...
I sit on my bike and reach over with my cell phone and take a pic in order to check it...
If you are checking it while on the side stand then you have too much in there and she doesn't like it and is spitting it out through the crankcase breather and exiting through either the breather or overflow tube hanging down behind the kickstand...

If not,
Then just keep monitoring it and carry about a half quart with you when you ride just in case...

These bikes are near bulletproof so don't sweat it too much...
Just get the level right by measuring how much you put in there during oil changes and take note where the level is on the site glass at that time...
Then just keep it close whenever checking and adding if need be...
Change it every 3000-4000 miles with a new filter and...Ride On !!!

BTW,
Highly recommend Valvoline 4T Racing Synthetic MOTORCYCLE 10w-40 oil and either Purolator Pure One PL14612 or a Bosch 3300 for you Nomad...
All can be had locally at WallyWorld or a local auto store...

AND...
If you haven't been to this site yet...

Vulcan Gadgets Fixit Page For Kawasaki Nomad & Classic Modification Maintenance & Repair

Have FUN !!!
Luckymann77

I love you more today than I did yesterday...
Yesterday you really PISSED ME OFF !!!

Long Time Rider...
First Time Vulcan Owner...

2005 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Majestic Metallic Red
Bagged up !!!
Chromed and Studded out !!!
Big 3
Cobra Dragsters
Cadmann
Wiseco/Doebeck EJK

Last edited by Luckymann77; 02-02-2018 at 09:30 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Luckymann77!! Yes, I check it perfectly level, I simply grab my throttle grip and pull her up off the stand and rock left and right to find the balance point, then look at the site glass. It was just REALLY weird. It must have been an air bubble. Level has been fine ever since.

I took it out yesterday and there was a little bit of oil again from that left side but not nearly as much as before, so I'm guessing it may have sprayed out of the relief valve on the left side (near where the oil screen is located).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

So, FYI in case anyone else runs across this. I came across the solution here.

This is a common problem but I donít think it was coincidence. My guess would be overfilling the oil caused high pressure that helped the seal pop out. Really easy fix. Took me about 30 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode