Need help with cooling system - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 05 Kawi Meanie
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Need help with cooling system

Hello all,

I just purchased an 05 Mean Streak. Just under 20k miles. I am having a strange issue with the temp light. The previous owner had the bike serviced at a dealership and it had a new fan switch and temp sender installed. I was riding it down the street and the temp light came on and no fan. Pulled over and was across the street from the dealership that serviced the bike. I left the bike and they called me yesterday and said the cooling system has no issues and the fan was kicking in at 219 degrees and going back down to 188 and shutting off. I asked about the light and they said that I would have to pay for a diagnostic. I passed and figured I would see what I could do myself since they assured me there was no cooling issue. Sure enough it is working just like they said I was able to confirm with a laser temp gun at home. When the temp light comes on the temp gun shows the lower radiator only around 200 degrees or so and then The fan kicks in at the right temp. The light will end up coming on when I'm on the street and turn off on the freeway.

I am hoping to figure this out so it works properly. Tonight I am going to pull the tank and check the radiator is topped off and see if anything comes out of the water pump bleed. The reservoir has coolant though was near low and I have topped it back up. Is there anything else o should try? Bike is stock except for Vance and Hines big shots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Well I removed the tank undid the need screw on the thermostat housing bleeder and a tiny bit of air came out. Removed the radiator cap and she was full. Bled the water pump no air just some coolant. Shifted the bike side to side with cap removed and one quarter sized bubble came out. Nothing that makes me think anything significant happened.

If anyone could chime in with anything to try next it would be much appreciated.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Also resting battery voltage is 12.46 that's not quite what it should be bit at idle and 3k rpms it maintains around 14 volts. That shouldn't have any effect on the temp light should it?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
The fan switch and the water temperature sensor (wts for short) are two different devices. Most bikes have both, some only have the wts and rely totally on the wts measured temp to control the fan. I think your bike has both, but I'm not sure. The fan switch is a thermomechanical switch that closes when the temperature where it is attached to the radiator goes above a certain point. This turns on the fan. The wts changes resistance based on coolant temperature and is located somewhere along the flow path from the engine to the radiator, usually pretty close to the engine. The change in resistance changes the voltage of that circuit read by the ECU. The coolant temp is directly related to the voltage.

A bad wts can cause the temp light to come on at normal operating temps. A bad fan switch can cause the fan to not come on at a low enough temp.

Based on what you describe, I suspect either a bad wts, or maybe a bad fan switch. Most likely the wts. Of course, you could actually have a cooling system problem, too, like a bad water pump or some other issue. Even if it is the wts, don't assume that you won't do damage if you continue to ride without fixing the problem. If the ECU thinks the temps are too high, it may adjust the fuel and timing to compensate for a lean condition that does not exist.

If you are going to try to diagnose this yourself, I strongly recommend that you get a copy of the service manual. The fan switch and wts tests are not that hard, but the specs are bike dependent as is the way you test the voltage of wts circuit.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timisitic View Post
Also resting battery voltage is 12.46 that's not quite what it should be bit at idle and 3k rpms it maintains around 14 volts. That shouldn't have any effect on the temp light should it?
Those voltages are a little low, so you may have a battery issue, too. I doubt that would cause the engine temp light to come on as consistently as you are describing, though. Still, you should do a deep discharge test on the battery to see if it is good. If not and the light problem goes away with a new battery, then your problem has been solved.

Let us know if that does solve it.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. This thing was recently serviced with new radiator switches and I'm just outside the 90 day warranty. The PO did the service. The battery is new as well but the bike has sat. The ride now that serviced the bike told me there is nothing wrong with the cooling system yesterday as they checked that at no cost and habe me the temps she is cycling at. When i asked about the light they wanted money to diagnose. I don't like the guy I dealt with and telling me there is nothing wrong with the cooling system when the temp light is coming on before the fan cycles is idiotic. I've tried the limits of whay I want to do so I'm gonna suck it up and take her in. I really like the bike and don't wanna blow up my investment at this point. I've already changed the front brake pads and ordered tires. Got the bike with 20k at a good price so it'll just be what it is to ride her. Thanks for trying to help.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Saber T was right. Warning sensor was bad. It took two dealers and three weeks but it's done. But now I've got new tires, brakes, fluids, battery, that I've done in between and it's time to clock some miles.

Ride Safe.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:05 PM
Top Contributor

Great Sounds like you got a great bike. with low millage. I bought a 1600 Mean Streak six seasons ago (6 or 7 months here in northern Michigan.) It had about 300 miles on it when I bought it. Now has 44,700 when I stored it for ski season. Other than replacing fluids and tires I have had no additional maintaince. Oh I did replace spark plugs once and plan on doing it again next year. I have add some accessories that make it tour worthy. all of which are easily removable. (saddle bags, windshield, luggage rack, and tank bag) I also added two inch handle bar risers.

I hope you enjoy your Mennie as much as I have enjoyed mine.

1600 Mean Streak

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I hope to have that many trouble free miles now. How did you raise the bars? Did you have to extend and lines?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timisitic View Post
I hope to have that many trouble free miles now. How did you raise the bars? Did you have to extend and lines?
I used GenMar 2 inch risers. I have listed their web site below. I used black ones as they match my black drag bars. I did not have to change (lengthen) the control lines. If you are careful they are ok but if you went much higher I would recommend longer cables.

https://www.rlmotorcycles.com/GenMar...p/gm%20x11.htm

1600 Mean Streak

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode