Mean Streak handlebar on a VN1600 Classic? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Vulcan VN1600 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Pearl Ivory
Mean Streak handlebar on a VN1600 Classic?

I'd prefer a narrower less bent handlebar than is stock on the VN1600 Classic. The angle of the grips, especially in tight maneuvers would cause some really weird hand positions on the grips, so a more standard almost drag bar style handlebar seems better to me. Assuming the mount pattern is the same on the top triple clamp for the front fork, has anyone mounted the handlebar from a Mean Streak onto a Classic?

My other thought is to just get a set of 3.5 to 5.5" risers and then use any 1" diameter style I want, like a wide drag bar style. Then I can get the grips back far enough and the right height I want instead of just trying to make the handlebar style itself determine where the grips end up.

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Last edited by andyvh1959; 12-21-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 kawasaki vulcan nomad
Color: black
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
I'd prefer a narrower less bent handlebar than is stock on the VN1600 Classic. The angle of the grips, especially in tight maneuvers would cause some really weird hand positions on the grips, so a more standard almost drag bar style handlebar seems better to me. Assuming the mount pattern is the same on the top triple clamp for the front fork, has anyone mounted the handlebar from a Mean Streak onto a Classic?

My other thought is to just get a set of 3.5 to 5.5" risers and then use any 1" diameter style I want, like a wide drag bar style. Then I can get the grips back far enough and the right height I want instead of just trying to make the handlebar style itself determine where the grips end up.
have you tried the meanie bars yet?
curious to know how this works out. i agree the stock bars are not conducive to certain maneuvers and they bother my elbows after being in the saddle for over an hr
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

I just got the Meanie bar I bought on ebay, and just holding it in front of me with my hands in the approximate position of riding I bet the handelbar will be much more natural and comfortable than the stock Classic handlebar. It certainly is much more narrow grip to grip than the Classic handlebar, like four inches more narrow. But I don't mind a handlebar that requires I use a bit more effort at the grips to maneuver the bike. Also, during slow speed maneuvers the more neutral grip position should help to control the bike.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I just got the Meanie bar I bought on ebay, and just holding it in front of me with my hands in the approximate position of riding I bet the handelbar will be much more natural and comfortable than the stock Classic handlebar. It certainly is much more narrow grip to grip than the Classic handlebar, like four inches more narrow. But I don't mind a handlebar that requires I use a bit more effort at the grips to maneuver the bike. Also, during slow speed maneuvers the more neutral grip position should help to control the bike.
sounds like i may do the same! once mounted up, please post up pics!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I will but it is months away project wise. I won't have the bike in my shop until June at best.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 nomad
Color: Blue and silver
Garage
I'm not sure about the classics but on my nomad I couldn't use any risers with pullback. Wasn't enough clearance for the speedometer cover.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I will but it is months away project wise. I won't have the bike in my shop until June at best.
thanks andy no worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp rat View Post
I'm not sure about the classics but on my nomad I couldn't use any risers with pullback. Wasn't enough clearance for the speedometer cover.

that makes sense swamp rat.
thanks for the heads up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode