Instruments reset when starting - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Vulcan 1600
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Red
Instruments reset when starting

2003 1600 classic. Sometimes, on a cold start (and the mornings are getting cold around here! if the engine doesn't catch on the first try, when I release the button the display goes completely dead. Then it comes back, the speedo needle does its swing over and back, and I carry on. But it means the clock and the trip odometer are reset. Not a really big deal, but annoying.

This happens maybe 1 out of 4-5 mornings. Once the bike is warmed up I don't have a problem; probably because it fires right up anyway. I usually crank it 2-3 seconds then release if it doesn't fire up. It always catches on the second try.

I put in a new battery about a month ago. I'm getting a steady 14.3V across the battery at idle, so charging doesn't seem to be an issue.

Is there a relay about to give up maybe? After the first start attempt the headlight is on, whether or not it has started.

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 03:21 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderbyte View Post
2003 1600 classic. Sometimes, on a cold start (and the mornings are getting cold around here! if the engine doesn't catch on the first try, when I release the button the display goes completely dead. Then it comes back, the speedo needle does its swing over and back, and I carry on. But it means the clock and the trip odometer are reset. Not a really big deal, but annoying.

This happens maybe 1 out of 4-5 mornings. Once the bike is warmed up I don't have a problem; probably because it fires right up anyway. I usually crank it 2-3 seconds then release if it doesn't fire up. It always catches on the second try.

I put in a new battery about a month ago. I'm getting a steady 14.3V across the battery at idle, so charging doesn't seem to be an issue.

Is there a relay about to give up maybe? After the first start attempt the headlight is on, whether or not it has started.
That is normal. Once the ignition coils are energized, the headlight comes on and stays on until the key is turned off. I can't help with the other stuff, sorry.

I'm gone!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1500fi
Color: Black
Quote:

I have an 03' Vulcan Nomad 1500 and experience this once in a while. Used to experience this a lot and changed my battery out and it went away. I feel I have possibly a small dead spot on the starter that causes the hesitation once in a while, which resets everything.

Patrick
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500fi

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Top Contributor

It is not normal for the display to go out. It means that the battery voltage is dropping to low.
Get the battery load tested.
Headlight is controlled by alternator, not ignition coils.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I'll get the battery tested, but as I said, it is not even a month old. I guess it could still be a dud! At least it's under warranty.

This was happening with the old battery, then it finally gave up completely, so I assumed that had been the reason. So I was surprised and concerned that the problem has continued with a new battery.

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Top Contributor

New battery...check that connections are clean and tight. (not gut busting tight)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks sfair. I'm usually pretty careful to make sure the connections are solid, so I don't think that will be the cause. But in any case, the bike is now parked for the winter, and I will be pulling the battery this weekend for inside storage. To be continued in the spring....

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2003 VN 1600 Classic & 2013 VN900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600 & 900cc
Color: Black/Grey
Garage
Quote:

G"day

I have a 2003 VN1600 Classic that I have owned since new and recently experienced the exact problem as you described. A new battery didn't fix the problem but here is what I found:

1. When the leads from the junction box were removed I found two of the connections were corroded. These were cleaned usiing a small file and some electrical contact cleaner.

2. The frame ground [earth] terminal was also corroded. In order to access the terminal the gas tank needs to be removed.
After cleaning ad replacing all the componects the bike fired up perfectly and has not missed a beat since.

I hope this helps.

VeeMax

There's nothing to prove and nothing to protect. I am what I am and it's enough.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

That's helpful, thanks! If it ever stops snowing here, I'll check those things out. Is it much work to remove the tank?

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
It is not normal for the display to go out. It means that the battery voltage is dropping to low.
Get the battery load tested.
Headlight is controlled by alternator, not ignition coils.
+1 You said it gets pretty cold. Low voltage and cold will do a battery in.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn