3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2005 nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Blue and silver
Garage
Antifreeze

I've changed all the fluids in my bike except the antifreeze. Apparently the previous owner didn't take maintenance as serious as the dealer told me he did. Imagine that. Should I use Kawasaki antifreeze? Anyone use Evans waterless antifreeze? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
if you have a honda car dealership nearby that sells parts ask for honda type 2 50/50 premix coolant, it's blue and good, try it, comes in 1 gal. jug

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2005 nomad
Color: Blue and silver
Garage
Thanks. I'll look it up. Also read that engine ice drops temp down 10 to 20 degrees. I live in South Mississippi and the temperature gets above 100 during the summer.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
the best fluid to handle heat is 100% straight water, but 50/50 mix has additives to prevent rust and corrosion

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:53 PM
CRU

Garage
You have options. I use Engine Ice. No issues with it. Just be aware you have to flush the system first before using it. Link explains the flushing sequence.

https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article...cement-options

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag

Last edited by CRU; 09-11-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Just make sure whatever you buy is good for aluminum. The normal color for antifreeze good for aluminum components is Orange.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBagger View Post
Just make sure whatever you buy is good for aluminum. The normal color for antifreeze good for aluminum components is Orange.
+1 on aluminum safe, but do not trust color! There is not standard for coolant colors and there are coolants that do not follow the general color scheme. The Kawi coolant is OAT type, so that is what is generally recommended (Dex-Cool is OAT, but not like general OAT formulations - don't use any Dex-Cool type coolants). If you do use anything other than OAT, do a flush first. In fact, you should probably do a flush anyway if the PO never changed the coolant.

I flush with Royal Purple Royal Flush, use O'Reilly Universal Coolant 50/50, and add Royal Purple Purple Ice additive. I confirmed with Royal Purple that Purple Ice is compatible with OAT coolants and the newest formulation is. Newer bottles say that it reduces temps by 22. Older (not compatible - contains silicates) bottles say 25.
Filichezst8k likes this.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
+1 on aluminum safe, but do not trust color! There is not standard for coolant colors and there are coolants that do not follow the general color scheme. The Kawi coolant is OAT type, so that is what is generally recommended (Dex-Cool is OAT, but not like general OAT formulations - don't use any Dex-Cool type coolants). If you do use anything other than OAT, do a flush first. In fact, you should probably do a flush anyway if the PO never changed the coolant.

I flush with Royal Purple Royal Flush, use O'Reilly Universal Coolant 50/50, and add Royal Purple Purple Ice additive. I confirmed with Royal Purple that Purple Ice is compatible with OAT coolants and the newest formulation is. Newer bottles say that it reduces temps by 22. Older (not compatible - contains silicates) bottles say 25.
Some questions.

Why do you state not to use Dex-Cool when this product if formulated for vehicles utilizing aluminum components ?

"Dex-cool is a great product and the manufacturer recommended antifreeze for GM and other vehicles with aluminum radiators, heater cores and water pumps and aluminum engine components in contact the coolant. It has no silicates which tear up water pumps."

What ingredient exactly does Purple Ice have that allows it to drop the heat temperature by 22 degrees over and above any other products available out there ?

Are there any tests that have been performed and available for review that would substantiate this products ability to decrease the heat factor in an engine to this degree ?

Last edited by RetroBagger; 09-12-2017 at 01:23 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBagger View Post
Some questions.

Why do you state not to use Dex-Cool when this product if formulated for vehicles utilizing aluminum components ?

"Dex-cool is a great product and the manufacturer recommended antifreeze for GM and other vehicles with aluminum radiators, heater cores and water pumps and aluminum engine components in contact the coolant. It has no silicates which tear up water pumps."

What ingredient exactly does Purple Ice have that allows it to drop the heat temperature by 22 degrees over and above any other products available out there ?

Are there any tests that have been performed and available for review that would substantiate this products ability to decrease the heat factor in an engine to this degree ?
Dex-Cool is not completely compatible with other OAT products due to the additives in it. It was created for and meets GM specifications. That is why they recommend it for GM vehicles. Non Dex-Cool OAT products meet a different set of specifications, though there is some overlap. Also, Dex-Cool has been known to damage seals and gaskets in non-GM vehicles.

Purple Ice (and additive), Engine Ice (complete 50/50 dilution of OAT compatible coolant with the additives already in it), etc. use proprietary ingredients, so there is no way of knowing what they each are using to increase the cooling capacity.

There have been no tests performed by anyone but the companies themselves that conclusively show that these products and/or additives do increase cooling.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LTD; 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja; 1993 Kawasaki ZR-1100 (now 1322 cc)
Displacement/CC's: 2000 cc; 900 cc; 1322 cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
the best fluid to handle heat is 100% straight water, but 50/50 mix has additives to prevent rust and corrosion
This is what I agree with. Water PLUS Water Wetter or similar product. But you don't have corrosion protection and if the bike does get hot, unless you have Water Wetter (by Redline) or a similar product (Hilton's makes a good product too) in the water it will boil at a lower temperature than with antifreeze, which raises the boiling point of water because of the glycol content.

I would suggest you buy a gallon of DISTILLED water, get a measuring device and measure out two quarts of water and two quarts of antifreeze. This should be more than enough to fill your system. You can put any leftover in the overflow tank or the overflow tank of your car or truck. Distilled water will not leave mineral deposits in your engine.

Dex Cool is not something to use. It has caused completely destructive damage to car cooling systems, it is only good for specific applications, and I wouldn't even use it in the applications it is supposed to go in. Bad product! I have a Chevy truck with a modified 454 and an aluminum radiator, and the shop that does all the custom work on my engine said that using Dex Cool would be the death knell for my radiator.

There is a radiator shop that rebuilds and repairs motorcycle radiators. It is in I think Idaho. Called Mylers. Run by a mom and her son. Great place, I have had a radiator with major damage repaired there. I suggest you try a product they sell to flush your cooling system prior to putting in your new coolant. Myler's Miracle Radiator Flush. Make sure you leave head space of about a quart when you add it because it can fizz quite a bit upon initial entry.

https://mylers-radiators.myshopify.com/

Last edited by The Heater; 09-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode