New 03 Vulcan 1600 Classic owner - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Khaymen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

New 03 Vulcan 1600 Classic owner

Greetings,

I am the proud owner of an 03 Vulcan 1600 Classic and am looking for any advice on things to watch out for.

Are there any known issues, or something I need to keep a check on?

I've already wondered how much engine clatter is normal for this bike as it is my first Kawasaki and I am not used to any pings and whistles that may be inherent to the breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:27 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Metallic Majestic Red, I think
Garage
Welcome and I have the same ride. (05)

The engine chatter is hard to get used to.

Check out Gadget's Fixit Page - Home if you have not already.

from the site: Probably the number one post on the Vulcan Forum and List involves noise. This is especially true of riders who've come to the Vulcan from a multi cylinder sport bike or those who've never ridden a V-Twin. These things are just plain noisy. They clunk they clatter and they belch and it's all in the name of 'character.' Among the sounds that really are considered "normal":

With FI bikes a clattering sound that seems to be coming from somewhere on the right side of the engine but you just can't pin it down. That would be the air injection valves. Two solenoids that are under the right side 'air box' (often erroneously called an air cleaner cover) . When the engine is cold, these valves turn on and off in an effort to keep the idle high enough to prevent stalling. If you decide to modify the intake on your FI bike you'll probably remove these noisy little critters.

Knock, knock, knock especially when the bike is cold or the idle is below the recommended 950 ( + or - 50) idle speed. You'll notice the knocking noise goes away if you pull in the clutch.

Valve Clatter even though your Vulcan 1500/1600 engine has hydraulic valve lifters (never need a valve adjustment) there is some valve noise, mostly because you're sitting right on top of the cams and lifters. Go out and sit on your cars engine and you'll hear the same kind of noise. It's normal

I like smoke and lightning.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I spent half the day going over the bike. I changed the engine and differential oil, flushed the radiator, and tightened a few things I found loose.
ClassicJohn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode