LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Metallic Majestic Red, I think
Garage
Bike died on me

First time, hope it is the last.

It was the first time I took my wife out on the bike. Also the first ride after her and the kids gave me a gremlin bell, so yeah.

We were 15 min into the ride with a lot of stop and go due to traffic lights and we were doing like maybe 45MPH and the engine just shut off. Died.

I pulled in clutch and tried to start it while rolling but nothing, just turned over.

Pulled into left turning lane at the next light and again cranked, but just errrrrrrrrrrrr. not starting.

I turned key off/on and she started right up. Light turned and I pulled into parking lot. I opened fuel tank and heard a "whoosh" I think it was whooshing out, like positive presser, but cannot be sure.

Bike ran just fine. On the way home I kept opening tank and each time it whooshed. Bike bogged only once, and only briefly. Rode past house for another hour plus. Took it out yesterday for a 30 min ride. No issues. no whooshing.

I like smoke and lightning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicJohn View Post
First time, hope it is the last.

It was the first time I took my wife out on the bike. Also the first ride after her and the kids gave me a gremlin bell, so yeah.

We were 15 min into the ride with a lot of stop and go due to traffic lights and we were doing like maybe 45MPH and the engine just shut off. Died.

I pulled in clutch and tried to start it while rolling but nothing, just turned over.

Pulled into left turning lane at the next light and again cranked, but just errrrrrrrrrrrr. not starting.

I turned key off/on and she started right up. Light turned and I pulled into parking lot. I opened fuel tank and heard a "whoosh" I think it was whooshing out, like positive presser, but cannot be sure.

Bike ran just fine. On the way home I kept opening tank and each time it whooshed. Bike bogged only once, and only briefly. Rode past house for another hour plus. Took it out yesterday for a 30 min ride. No issues. no whooshing.
Sounds like vapor lock,believe the cap has vents,might be clogged,sure others will chime in
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 11:58 AM

Garage
Isn't the 2005 1600 a FI system? I can't see vapor lock (e.g. fuel flashing to vapor within the fuel lines) with the system pressurized... nominal running pressure is (per the manual) 304kPa (44psi)

If it's carbureated, maybe... but while running??? Hard to imagine.

It may be that your gas tank is not allowing air in, which it should, to compensate for the fuel being depleted.

Was the 'whoosh' in inward rush out or gas escaping? If your gas cap is not venting correctly it may have been an issue with a vacuum forming and not allowing any further gas to be gravity fed. I had that issue on a CB750F, replaced the gas cap and the issue went away.

4 wheels move the body.
2 wheels move the soul.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertdad View Post
Isn't the 2005 1600 a FI system? I can't see vapor lock (e.g. fuel flashing to vapor within the fuel lines) with the system pressurized... nominal running pressure is (per the manual) 304kPa (44psi)

If it's carbureated, maybe... but while running??? Hard to imagine.

It may be that your gas tank is not allowing air in, which it should, to compensate for the fuel being depleted.

Was the 'whoosh' in inward rush out or gas escaping? If your gas cap is not venting correctly it may have been an issue with a vacuum forming and not allowing any further gas to be gravity fed. I had that issue on a CB750F, replaced the gas cap and the issue went away.
It is FI.

I swear the tank was pressurized, the cap was "popping" open. I would think if it was negative, I would have to be pulling the cap open? I thought maybe the high pressure was not allowing the pump to get fuel? I don't know how the system works.

Yesterday I opened cap and blew compressed air into both vent lines and air came out the bottom.

The pressure could have noting to do with the bike dying. The way I remember it dying it may have been electrical? It just died. Personally I think it was the gremlin bell.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:25 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
is it the battery?

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
is it the battery?
I don't think so? the battery is strong and I am not sure a weak battery would make it die?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Garage
I'd check the fuel pressure/fuel flow - just for grins and giggles - if there's no fire, that means that there's no spark, no air or no fuel.

have you checked the air cleaner element to ensure that there's no clogs?

4 wheels move the body.
2 wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode