Mean Streak with Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Kawasaki Mean Streak & 2002 Honda ST1100
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Garage
Mean Streak with Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger

My Meanie came with Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger and worked fine. Then after getting it back from a mechanic after taking it in because the motor just stopped while on the freeway, but then it would run, then stopped again. He said he just cleaned up the contacts under the gas tank, but don't take any long trips yet. It started doing it again, so I am taking it back to him as he charged me $190 and I want my monies worth. But when I picked it up the first time, he told me the butterflys weren't working, but stayed open. So I thought I would check that out before bringing it back to him (it is running right now, but I don't want to be stuck again).

I took the Hypercharger apart. Made sure the vacumn line worked. checked the diaphram that the vacumn line operates. Found that it wasn't seated properly, don't know why, but put it together, started the engine. found that the butterflys work now. BUT, they are opening and closing backwards. When you open the throttle, the butterflys close, and when you idle, the butterflys are open.

Did I put it on backwards or what? The rod pushes the butterflys closed. I am wonder if the round dohicky that sits on the rubber diaphram should be turned around. Tried looking on the internet to see how the inside is supposed to be setup and working, but everyone ignores how it functions, just how to hook it up to the bike. I guess I could just put it in the other way and test it, but I maybe someone knows what is the cause and fix so I can do it the right without trial and error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Vulcan 800A
Garage
Are you 100% the hoses are connected properly? Can you post some pics?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Can't take pictures now, it is 10:41 p.m., maybe later, but I got the hoses right. There are only two. The bottom thinner one is the vacuum hose goes to the dohicky that has the diaphragm and actuates the rod that pushes and pulls the butterfly flaps. When I took Hypercharger apart, I followed the hose to make sure it was connected, which required lifting the tank. But I found I could have just started the engine and put my thumb over the hose end and feel the suction. Reconnected the hoses with the air cleaner removed but the flaps in place. The rod is attached to the flaps normally, but the position of the flaps are open. When I start the engine and use the throttle, the rod pushes out which closes the flaps. Normally it would be almost closed, and when you use throttle, the flaps would open up to allow more air to be scooped in, not closed. I tried changing the flaps by flipping thinking I put them in upside down, but they don't fit right. I think the rod should be pushed out further causing the flaps to be almost closed, and when you engine runs, the rod should go inward, causing the flaps to open up. That is why I think the thing that the vacuum hose attaches to may be backwards and is pushing the rod out, instead of sucking it in. But nothing tells me which way it goes except by experimenting with it.

I am hoping someone would know. Like I said, he internet shows how to hook it up, but not how it works the diaphragm. I don't remember what it looked like when I took it apart. But I guess it couldln't hurt to just try putting it in the other way and see it that fixes it. It has an adjusting screw, but I don't know what that controls.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:31 AM

Garage
The butterflies are open in the absence of the vacuum due to the vacuum pod & spring inside. At lower RPMs the butterflies remain partially closed. As RPMs climb (i.e. more air flow), engine vacuum becomes less and the spring behind the diaphragm in the vacuum pod pushes the butterflies open. The screw is a tension screw in the center of the vacuum pod. It can be adjusted to fine tune the action of the butterflies. You may want to try adjusting it and see if that helps. It is probably worth checking the spring inside the vacuum pod as well. Your exhaust and air flow restrictions also play a part in it. I am no expert by any means but I did have mine pulled apart a few weeks ago. I am sure there are smarter guys on here but I am glad to help if I can.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got it corrected. Turns out the Bufferflys were upside down. I thought I might have put it together wrong, but it seemed hard to place in that posisiton. But it turns out that you have to force it against the pressure of the diaphram, and then the butterflys open properly. That is what I thought might have happened. I should have taken pictures before taking it apart.

But now I have to figure out why my bike quit on me twice while on freeway. It starts back up after a while without a hic-up. Took it back to the mechanic that checked it out after the first time. I had it in to him a couple of months ago, and he compared the readings from that time to what the readings are now, and nothing has changed. He told me to test drive it for awhile to see if it happens again. I hate that as I have no way of transporting the bike from the side of the road or freeway, except by callilng for help on my cell phone, getting picked up, and going to rent a trailer to haul it home. He said it might be flooding out, and then it takes awhle for to clear up, which is why it rides fine afterwards. Maybe fixing the butterflys did it, as when I brought it in after the first time, the butterflys were not operating and stuck wide open. But if that was the case, I wonder why the mechanic didn't fix it then, as I paid him $190 to diagnose the issue. If it was the Hydrocharger, I ended up fixing it myself, and not by the mechanic, as I fixed that issue after I got it back from him.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM

Garage
I am glad you got one issue solved. Hopefully it solves both. I am not sure why the Hypercharger would cause your bike to quite unless the valves were fully closed and not passing any air to the intake at all. Keep us posted.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Garage
does it always cut out after a while?
this may be completely unrelated, but...

when I had the Magna - it cut out on my half way to work one morning. I hitched a ride back to the house, got the truck, and went to haul it home. when I got there, it fired right up. I scooted back to the house adn it died on me coming up the driveway.
got home from work, and it fired right up again. I rode it around close to the house for a bit - repeat, repeat, repeat

turns out the pulse generators lost continuity when the engine came up to operating temperature. I doubt you have pulse generators - but it could be another electrical component that is cutting out when they bike is to temp - if it happens each time you come to temp

Riding is therapy...Riding with friends is group therapy

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode