Vulcan 1600 Brake Upgrade Options - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan 1600 Brake Upgrade Options

Hello,

I just purchased a 2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic. I was curious about the front brakes, specifically if the front calipers from a Vulcan 2000 will work. If not, are there any 4 piston calipers that bolt on?

I previously rode a V-Star 650 and an R6 four piston caliper would bolt right on and made a dramatic difference in brake feel. The VN1600 brakes certainly aren't bad, but there is always room for improvement.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 05:47 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Metallic Canyon Silver ( it's not Mauve dammit)
I guess there might always room for improvement but since our bikes are not equipped with anti-lock brakes my question would be to what purpose.

I'm a big guy, always ride 2 up so that's almost an additional 400 lbs, and on the rare occasion I've had to grab a handful of front brakes I can easily lock it up. Adding more in my opinion does not err on the side of caution. I would ride the bike for a while, maybe try different pad compounds and see before making wholesale changes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

The question is not so much a matter of increased braking power as it is a matter of improved brake feel. I have always found it much easier to modulate a firm pedal, or lever than a spongy one.

Of course I am sure that the pads on the bike now are some OE compound which leaves much room for improvement. The fluid is probably also due for changing, and a set of braided lines would go a long way as well. This is all well and good but if I'm going through that much trouble and I can get a set of four piston calipers for say, $100, why would I not?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:41 PM

I have an 08 Nomad with braided lines, EBC HH pads and radial tires. Have gone 70-0 in about 160' with my wife and I on the bike. I think that is good enough.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I met a gentleman with a Vulcan 1600 the other day, I believe he said it was a mean streak, it had slightly different forks from the factory with 4 piston radial mounted calipers and floating pistons. So obviously at some point Kawasaki didn't think this would be "excessive."

Everybody is most certainly entitled to an opinion, and I appreciate the feedback, but many many times with a motorcycle the need is irrelevant, the want is the dominant factor.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 11:10 AM

Year/Make/Model: 05 Kawasaki nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Blk/silver
Send a message via MSN to downinthefrontrow Send a message via Yahoo to downinthefrontrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewalkman View Post
I guess there might always room for improvement but since our bikes are not equipped with anti-lock brakes my question would be to what purpose.

I'm a big guy, always ride 2 up so that's almost an additional 400 lbs, and on the rare occasion I've had to grab a handful of front brakes I can easily lock it up. Adding more in my opinion does not err on the side of caution. I would ride the bike for a while, maybe try different pad compounds and see before making wholesale changes.
I enjoy a 05 1600 nomad and at first front brakes felt wonky but after a while I myself use gears downshifting as BIG aid and both front and back to..use all ya got,but better brakes never a bad thing.good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode