• 1 Post By MeanSt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Rear suspension adjustment

Hi Guys,

This should be a basic question for those long time Vulcan's owners. I find the rear suspension to be a little rough on my back when hitting a road bump that I di not expect. My back is getting a little fragile over years...

I noticed that rear chocks are ajustable (No. 1 to 4) and pressurised. Question:
Should releasing the air pressure and adjust to No.4 be the best setting for me (220 lbs)?

Thank you!
Mathieu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:34 PM

Year/Make/Model: '06 Nomad
Color: Green/Silver
Garage
Less air would soften the initial jolt or overall ride (compression) and lower numbers would mean less sharp return (rebound) of the shock after you hit a bump. I would start at maybe 10lbs air pressure and #2. See how that feels and go for a few good bumps (without sharp edges) and see if it bottoms out. If it does, go up a few lbs and try again. Keep going till you don't bottom out. Then experiment with rebound one click at a time. I did mine air first and then rebound so as not to confuse things. If you can't stop bottoming out, buy new shocks. By the way, DON'T USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR TO ADD AIR! You may blow out the shocks. Go on eBay and get a no-loss hand pump with a gauge. I think I paid about $25-$30 for mine. I can add tiny bits of air at a time, which is what you want. A compressor blows too much too fast. That's my 2 cents.

I continue not to get it...

Last edited by Tortuga; 08-05-2016 at 06:21 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
Less air would soften the initial jolt or overall ride (compression) and lower numbers would mean less sharp return (rebound) of the shock after you hit a bump. I would start at maybe 10lbs air pressure and #2. See how that feels and go for a few good bumps (without sharp edges) and see if it bottoms out. If it does, go up a few lbs and try again. Keep going till you don't bottom out. Then experiment with rebound one click at a time. I did mine air first and then rebound so as not to confuse things. If you can't stop , buy new shocks. By the way, DON'T USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR TO ADD AIR! You may blow out the shocks. Go on eBay and get a no-loss hand pump with a gauge. I think I paid about $25-$30 for mine. I can add tiny bits of air at a time, which is what you want. A compressor blows too much too fast. That's my 2 cents.
Run 20lb set at 3 190 here,like tortuga said little adjustment at a time find your sweet spot,DO not use a compressor

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Vulcan Classic
Color: Metallic Canyon Silver ( it's not Mauve dammit)
I'm 240, I ended up getting a set of Progressives for the back, best investment ever, changed even my SO comfort level, I was constantly bottoming out when riding 2 up, now it like a Cadillac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode