Bike not starting, need help - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Bike not starting, need help

Hey all, hoping someone can help me figure out what is wrong with my '03 Classic.

I recently got up to Michigan from Florida (where I haven't been having issues) and it's been chilly lately. The bike wasn't wanting to start in the morning when the temp was below 55 or so. I was thinking it might be the thicker oil I use in Florida, since if I left the bike out in the sun for several hours, it would generally startup. I was concerned about the battery (which I replaced last year) getting drained while trying to get it started, so I borrowed a maintainer from a co-worker and have had it hooked up for 2 days straight.

Well, I was off today, so I thought I'd go out and try to start the bike since it was a little warmer today. No dice. It was laboring while trying to start. Turning over, but barely. Only able to try a few times and then the bike just clicks and the display goes out, as if the battery was dead. Charger has been hooked up the whole time. I thought I'd check the spark plugs, just in case... only get on 2 of the 4 because I don't have the right socket with me, but the 2 I did look at didn't appear to be an issue.

I stood looking at the bike hoping something would come to me and I remembered it has a Kuryakyn WildThings FI controller. It came on the bike when I got it 3 years ago. Not sure of the model, but I looked online to see if I could tell if it was functioning properly. From what I can tell from the little info I could find, there's a green LED that should stay lit when the key is turned on. That light is blinking (I took a pic, rest assured, the light is blinking, not steady on) nonstop and I *think* it might be a connection issue, but since I'm not sure if the pdf I downloaded was even for this particular model, it's only a guess. I'm kind of thinking not, because it mentions yellow/white wires and I don't see those colors on the controller. I haven't lifted the tank yet to see what wires are there.

Anyway, I'm really perplexed and could use help. I'm dependent on the bike to get to work and this could become a much bigger issue for me if I can't get it ironed out. Any help is appreciated, and please let me know if there's more info that's needed.

Pic of FI controller: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_C...ew?usp=sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 103ci
Color: Black
Garage
Pull the battery and have it load tested.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Load tested it myself before heading up here. It tested good.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:56 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Load tested it myself before heading up here. It tested good.
I'd load test it again. Also, what's the voltage, both before trying to start, after trying to start and while trying to start?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:37 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Voyager; 2004 VFR800; 2003 VTX 1300
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Phantom/Spark
Sounds like a battery issue. I charged my VTX battery (1 year old) for 2 days, charger told me it was good but it couldn't start the bike. Battery test said it needed charged; new battery fixed the issue. For good measure you may consider checking battery cables for integrity, corrosion, & voltage drop then cleaning the start switch contacts.

"A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of fuel"

"I believe in treating everyone with respect, but, first you have to get their attention"

Never be ashamed to unlearn an old habit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode