• 1 Post By Calais
  • 1 Post By VNSwede

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Mustang Seat 500 Miles Quick Review.

I just wanted to post this here quick. I have put around 500 miles already since i installed my new Mustang seat I purchased from J&P a few weeks ago. I Know there is a lot of discussion about what the best seat is so I will do this with an easy pros and cons list so far.

Pros:
-Excellent comfort over stock for long distance riding (still not fully broken in)
-Provides for a better ride position for long legged people like myself (about an inch or so further up)
-Looks much better then the factory seat both front and rear (especially for a classic version of the vulcan)
-Rear seat is much wider and softer for passenger comfort. (My wife loves it compared to factory)
-Absorbs hard bumps in pavement much more then the factory seat
-Softer then factory seat but still firm and supportive where it needs to be.
-NO tailbone pain after distance riding
-Provides a lot of back support

Now with that said, this seat Is NOT perfect....

Cons:
-There is ONE seating position. Whereas with the factory seat you could slide further up or further back and reposition yourself. This is not an option for the mustang seat. You "fall" into a "cup" where you are there to stay for the remainder of your ride. But its a very comfortable "cup"
-would add more difficulty to reach the ground for a shorter rider since it does make the riding position higher.
-Lines of the seat do not match up with the lines on the bike perfectly. I have taken the seat off and on and tried adjusting it many times but it will not line up. Makes it seam like the seat bracket underneath is off center a little so the seat sits a little crooked. It takes a keen eye to actually notice it but if your OCD like me it will drive you crazy. This is biggest complaint I have about the seat at the moment.
-Both front and rear seat do not sit flush with the chassis and rear fender of the bike so there is a small gap. I'm just being picky here but i do feel like it is a con. This is more then likely due to the fact that the seat is designed to fit on more then one model bike.

So that's what I think so far. I will probably do this again when I hit about 1500 miles on the seat so I know it is fully broken in. I worry a little that it may be too soft when broken in but I will surely let you guys know when I get there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12939651_10156810024100650_1659490158_n.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	157994   Click image for larger version

Name:	12939170_10156810024175650_506772602_n.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	158002  

I've put down many hard miles carving corners, but now it's time to just sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 02:17 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2004
Color: Blue pearl
Hi and thanks for your review! I'm still debating which aftermarket seat to get. Have you tried seats from other brands? What do you think about this seat in general? Was it worth it? Does the pros make it easy to overlook the cons? ......in other words; would you buy it again? Could you please post some picture about the misaligned fit to bike.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNSwede View Post
Hi and thanks for your review! I'm still debating which aftermarket seat to get. Have you tried seats from other brands? What do you think about this seat in general? Was it worth it? Does the pros make it easy to overlook the cons? ......in other words; would you buy it again? Could you please post some picture about the misaligned fit to bike.
Yeah so far I would definitely purchase this seat again for a new bike. Last night after work (and after my post) I rode around until the sun went down. I put another easy 100 miles on the bike but probably more. I wasn't really paying attention. With this seat I find that time just passes and I am constantly looking for a new road to hit or another route around the town I live in just for an excuse to stay on the bike a little longer. It was a little pricey but it has by far been the best purchase I have ever made for any bike I have owned period. It completely changes the riding experience.

Unfortunately I do not have experience with any of the other after market seats so I can't compare to them, only to the stock seat. I know that there are several other well know brands that get raving reviews but after doing tons of research I found myself always going back to the mustang seat so that is what I purchased.

As for the cons, I feel like any seat that is produced for multiple motorcycles will have some type of cons just due to the nature that they fit on multiple motorcycles and none of said bikes are built exactly the same. So unless you have a custom seat made for your particular motorcycle I think there will be some things that you don't like about them. I personally feel like the pros of this mustang seat definitely outweigh the cons for sure.

It is raining unfortunately so today my bike stayed tucked away in the garage but as soon as the weather breaks I will go take some pics so you can see what I mean about the seat not lining up. Hope this helps!

I've put down many hard miles carving corners, but now it's time to just sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

I've tried the Corbin seat on a Yamaha RoadStar (1600) and it was very hard ... it never really 'broke in' and tended to have hotspots that were painful. Looked great, fit was okay.

I had the Mustang seat on a Honda VTX ... more comfortable than the Corbin, fit nice, but it pushed me too far forward toward the tank and I spent a lot of time trying to push myself back again.

I have the Ultimate seat on my Nomad 1600 -- the fit is very good ... the seat(s) look really nice ... it is, by far, the most comfortable seat I have ever tried on any motorcycle (this includes other brands and models on other bikes). I can ride for a long time (for me) with this seat, and there is some room to move around on it or to simply sit in the sweet spot and enjoy it. I also have the rider's back rest which is nice if I want to cruise and just relax back a little.

The killer with the Ultimate is cost. I got the full set (rider's seat and backrest, passenger pillon and backrest, and raincovers for all four). I bought the set because it looks and fits better as a set.

When ordering, you do provide height and weight, though I have to say I would have been happier with more rearward room, but it seems to be a problem on lots of bikes for tall guys.

As a note, I have had some injuries to my back and hips, and the Ultimate seat is so far the only one that makes riding possible. Stock seat I can barely ride 10 minutes before the pain starts.

Depending on your needs and budget, I would consider the Ultimate.
Daniel DiMaggio likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004
Color: Blue pearl
-Thanks Calais! Nice to hear about other brands aswell. Well, I have to take a real close look at Mustang and Ultimate. Then I need to decide soon, the stock seat isn't any good at all on long trips. My wife also complains about the (none existing) comfort. I think also that a backrest would do wonders for back-(spinal)support. Having some problem with my back already does mean I need another seat soon. I wouldn't like a seat that pushes me more forward or higher than stock sea....well, a little,tiny bit then.
Daniel DiMaggio likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post
I've tried the Corbin seat on a Yamaha RoadStar (1600) and it was very hard ... it never really 'broke in' and tended to have hotspots that were painful. Looked great, fit was okay.

I had the Mustang seat on a Honda VTX ... more comfortable than the Corbin, fit nice, but it pushed me too far forward toward the tank and I spent a lot of time trying to push myself back again.

I have the Ultimate seat on my Nomad 1600 -- the fit is very good ... the seat(s) look really nice ... it is, by far, the most comfortable seat I have ever tried on any motorcycle (this includes other brands and models on other bikes). I can ride for a long time (for me) with this seat, and there is some room to move around on it or to simply sit in the sweet spot and enjoy it. I also have the rider's back rest which is nice if I want to cruise and just relax back a little.

The killer with the Ultimate is cost. I got the full set (rider's seat and backrest, passenger pillon and backrest, and raincovers for all four). I bought the set because it looks and fits better as a set.

When ordering, you do provide height and weight, though I have to say I would have been happier with more rearward room, but it seems to be a problem on lots of bikes for tall guys.

As a note, I have had some injuries to my back and hips, and the Ultimate seat is so far the only one that makes riding possible. Stock seat I can barely ride 10 minutes before the pain starts.

Depending on your needs and budget, I would consider the Ultimate.
What was the total cost for the set with the Ultimate seat. With 4 items plus the covers I can only assume it was near a grand if not more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode