coolant smell and stain - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
coolant smell and stain

Not sure where start looking but after a ride, my bike smells like it is overheating and a stain on my floor under the front right side of the bike.
I have looked but do not see coolant right after I shut her down, my fan does come on
Where should I be looking
Thanks randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:46 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Garage
If you are leaking on the right front look at the water pump, it is on the engine just below the air filter on the right side, there is a hose that goes to the front of the bike. If it is leaking from that hose you may need a new water pump. I would also check the thermostat, it is on top of the frame under the gas tank. you have to remove the gas tank to check it, also check the cap. But I think it would leak out of the rear tube (by the oil filter) if it was the cap, thermostat or low level of coolant.

07, Nomad, Fairing, 4 speakers, AM/FM USB/GPS, Cell holder/charger, Throttle lock, 13" Handlebars/Grips, Head Light Modulator, 1 off seat w/backrest, V and H pipes, Intake K and N 9" filters, Cobra FI Processor, Side rails on bags, leather covers w/pockets on rear bag guards. Sometimes have Rear trunk on 1 off rack or bag in place of rear seat, Foot pegs, hard 1 off lowers on engine guard, Wolo horn, fork lowers. Black with some chrome.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Top Contributor

Very, very common problem is loose hose clamps. Check all clamps first.
What you might be smelling is antifreeze and not overheating.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Very, very common problem is loose hose clamps. Check all clamps first.
What you might be smelling is antifreeze and not overheating.
plus one on hoses, btw there are 8 clamps to check, dry white powder is dried coolant.......i know because i just did this., when i changed my coolant. sorry i forgot to tell you about the hoses.

07, Nomad, Fairing, 4 speakers, AM/FM USB/GPS, Cell holder/charger, Throttle lock, 13" Handlebars/Grips, Head Light Modulator, 1 off seat w/backrest, V and H pipes, Intake K and N 9" filters, Cobra FI Processor, Side rails on bags, leather covers w/pockets on rear bag guards. Sometimes have Rear trunk on 1 off rack or bag in place of rear seat, Foot pegs, hard 1 off lowers on engine guard, Wolo horn, fork lowers. Black with some chrome.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the help finally was able to work on the bike topped everything off and let it
I had no leaks when running so i shut jt down but after a few mintes it was dripping out of the hose that appears to come off of the water pump
So do u think pump or thermostat
Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 AM

Garage
If it where me, I change the water pump, cap, thermostat, re-check all hoses and clamps plus clean out/flush system and new coolant. But that is just me, I hate to go back and re-do things later on. Whenever I work on my bike I use the two year rule "will I have to come back to whatever I am working on in the next two years"? If I come up with a maybe or yes I re-do it, even if it is working at that time. It does coats more but I like the insurance of knowing it is done. Now I do have a limit I would not change the engine if I just needed plugs, lol. If one plug was to crack/brake I would do all four. If I replace the brake pads, I change the brake fluid, but just check the brake lines. When I did my coolant I flushed the system, checked all hoses, clean out the over-flow tank and called it a day. If my cap, pump or thermostat was bad I would have changed all three. Just my way. I changed the rear tire and told the guy to change the air valve and turn it the other way. After I installed the wheel and tire on the bike I found out he just turned the valve and did not replace it. And now after all is said and done, I have a slow leak maybe 5 to 7 pounds of air lost in a week or 10 days. I will have to check the valve for dirt but this is what I am talking about if I had made sure it was replaced before I re-installed the wheel I would not be dealing with a slow leak......just my luck lol. I know some will say my way is over kill but it always seems to come back and bit me on the ass!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode