07 1600 Nomad Warning Light - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

07 1600 Nomad Warning Light

I have a couple things going on here, but I'll make it easy.

I already know I have to replace my plug tube seals, so those are on order. weaping oil all over the back of the tranny.. ick.

Today, my red idiot light came on while I was doing around 80 mph. I thought perhaps it might be oil pressure but getting off the gas didn't make any change, neither did speading up, or frequent changes of the throttle. What DID make a difference was getting off the highway and wandering through some neighborhoods to avoid traffic. Not pushing the bike as hard, cool day. The light went off.

I'm pretty certain that it's on FI since the bike ran fine. No missing. No loss of power. I only have about 50 miles on the bike since the last oil change so it's not lack of oil. No puddles, drips, etc.

I checked the radiator overflow when I got off the bike and it's nearly empty, or might as well be for that matter. I think I'll do a radiator flush, but I'll need some instructions if anyone can post those. BUT.. just to be sure:

1. Is there a way to bypass the sensor for the fan and have it come on all the time to verify the radiator fan works?

2. Is there a link to how I can check the ECU, OR, since the light goes off when I ride nice and gentle, is there a better certainty that this is a temp issue?

I tried searching, but the answers were confusing.

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - Double Debaffle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Top Contributor

Is the cooling system building pressure when up to temperature?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

how do I check coolant pressure without opening the radiator cap while the bike is running... I don't want to spray myself with hot radiator fluid.

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - Double Debaffle.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Top Contributor

Try and squeeze any one of the coolant hoses. Should be virtually rock hard.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:31 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan Mean Streak
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
On my gauge there Are three separate warning indicators... One each for Oil pressure, coolant temperature and the Fuel injection. Can you confirm which indicator came on?

If the EFI light comes on and stays on you can get the code from the ECU by grounding the yellow wire found under seat in battery compartment. The FI light will blink a pattern of flashes followed by pauses out to you. It will repeat 3 times I think I recall reading. You basically count the # of blinks between each pause.. You Get a 2 digit number and look it up in the service manual found in the EFI section.

On coolant side After bike cools down add more fluid to coolant reservoir to full Mark, start up bike and let it run sitting in place. Bike should warm up, hoses should be rock hard as Sfair says.. And with the bike stationary the rad fan should start to cycle on and off after about 5-10 minutes.
If it does not come on make sure fan is not jammed / prevented from turning (watch ur fingers!) plus check fuses to fan. Check the electrical connections to the terminals on the temperature sensor switch found at the bottom of the rad.

Keep eye on coolant reservoir as engine will draw coolant back into radiator/engine from expansion tank when the engine cools down .

I had an older Honda that would overheat, not allow fluid to move between engine and expansion tank .. Replaced radiator cap with new one ... Problem fixed...

Post back what you find ..

Greg
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Current Ride: 2006 Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak
(Work in progress)
Past Rides: HMCS Assiniboine DDH 234

Last edited by Greg_C; 03-21-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Corrected post.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_C View Post

Keep eye on coolant reservoir as engine will pull coolant into engine as the radiator cap comes under pressure and the thermostat opens / closes.an ..
Not correct. Just the opposite happens.

Also, error code is 2 digit number, not 3 or 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode