Mean Streak Teach and Speed malfunction - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Mean Streak Teach and Speed malfunction

I am having a problem with my 07 Mean Streak 1600. It has 30,000 miles. During my last two rides the tach and speedo has been bouncing to zero and back at random. I have not been able to find any shorts. It will only happen after a short ride not while idling in the garage. The charging system is only putting out around 12.04 volts. Could this be the problem? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

1600 Mean Streak

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Top Contributor

The first answer to an electrical question is always the same;
clean and tighten the battery connections. DONT JUST EYEBALL THEM!!!!
If its still a problem come back.

Sunny Bob
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I did tighten the connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybob View Post
The first answer to an electrical question is always the same;
clean and tighten the battery connections. DONT JUST EYEBALL THEM!!!!
If its still a problem come back.

1600 Mean Streak

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:51 AM
Top Contributor

I know its 101 electrics, but you dont say you cleaned them. Tightening a dirty connection doesnt make it work.

Spotless clean, nice and tight. then you can start other troubleshooting if you have to.

Most erratic faults with speedos are loose connections. Also, if its still not working, a good thing to know is the last thing you did to the bike before it went wrong. Did you have the tank off? added any other electrical items?

Sunny Bob
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybob View Post
I know its 101 electrics, but you dont say you cleaned them. Tightening a dirty connection doesnt make it work.

Spotless clean, nice and tight. then you can start other troubleshooting if you have to.

Most erratic faults with speedos are loose connections. Also, if its still not working, a good thing to know is the last thing you did to the bike before it went wrong. Did you have the tank off? added any other electrical items?
Yea! It is fixed. A year ago last May I replaced the battery with a new sealed type, using the new bolts furnished. Since then I have put over 12,000 miles on the bike. Today I stopped by a small but highly recommended independent shop. He suspected the battery. When he removed the battery to load test it the bolt on the positive terminal broke! No kidding it broke. After load testing proved the battery was ok he noticed that there appeared to be some marks on the positive lead that could be caused by arcing. He said that although the bolt appeared to be tight it had indeed bottomed out. We then had to drill out the old blot, re-tap the hole, and use a shorter bolt. (Tried EZ Outs but no joy.) After reinstalling everything worked perfectly. Color me overjoyed!
Thanks to all who made suggestions to help me solve this problem and save what little is left of the season.

1600 Mean Streak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode