VN 1600 rear shocks - OEM/Progressive/Nomad - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Blue pearl
VN 1600 rear shocks - OEM/Progressive/Nomad

Hi! Tried to search but didn't really find any answer. I've got a 2004 VN1600 Classic. I'm riding more and more two up and sometimes with luggage also. Been thinking of replace the original rear shocks with progressive, but came across some Nomad rear shocks on Ebay. You can adjust airpressure on those. Will they fit my bike and will there be any benefit buying these instead of progressive when riding more two up? BTW...what length is an original shock? I've been told 12,5". If going with progressive, can you pls advice what brand/model? I'm 198 lbs and wifey 155 lbs and occasionally some luggage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:45 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600cc
Color: Fast Black
I have replaced shocks on a number of my rides, and preferred Progressives to OEM. Your Nomad OEM shocks should be 12.5" and Progressive has/had a #430 shock that was a direct replacement. I've attached a link to Cruiser Customizing as an example. If you are close to, or over 200 lbs, order the 430HD shocks. There is enough adjustment to give you a soft ride when solo, and can adjust easily when riding two up. I replaced the shocks on my '09 Ultra Classic as the Harley air shocks are the worst motorcyle shock out there (in my opinion). I ordered 440HD's from Progressive and it was like riding on a cushion in comparison. My current ride in Canada is a 2012 Road King with the same god awful Harley Air shocks, so I will be looking at Progressive's or Harley Premium shocks, down the road.
In Arizona, where I like to enjoy winters, I have recently purchased an '08 Nomad. I find the OEM air shocks to be much, much better than the Harley air shocks. With that in mind, I have no need to change out the Nomad air shocks. Also, the Nomad air shocks have 4 rebound settings that go from soft to a firm ride. That, in combination with the air setting should easily be enough settings for yourself, as well as riding two up. I ride solo with 25 lbs and rebound setting 3 which gives me a stiff, firm suspension for "spirited" riding.
In the end, it's your choice to go either OEM air shocks or Progressive, but the OEM shocks can be purchased used for 1/4 of the Progressive new price. Remember, any air shock you get, must include buying a hand (shock) pump. You cannot use a compressor. I bought a next to new Harley hand pump for $25. on Craigslist. It works great.

Progressive Suspension 430 Series Shocks (Chrome HD, 12.5 in) - VTX 1800,Vulcan 1500/1600, Valkyrie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Blue pearl
-Thank you! I will definitely look at progressive shocks. Seems to be good value for money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode