1600 Blew a hose. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Question 1600 Blew a hose.

I rode about 20 miles over to a friends home tonight and just after getting off the freeway exit I noticed the bike started to run a little rough and had a lot of vibration. I didn't really think to much of it but when parked at my friends house I looked over at my bike and noticed a shiny oil film on the left side of the radiator guard screen and then on the horn and left engine cover. At a closer look it blew the large hose off the engine on that side at the bottom of the front cylinder behind the toe shift lever. I am thinking it is the engine breather hose and wondering why it was blown off the engine. I bought a better screw type clamp and put it back on as the spring type of hose clamp on it was pretty loose. Would deceleration from higher speed and downshifting put enough pressure inside the engine to blow off this hose or would I need to look into this further? I downshift pretty much every time I stop but this is the first time something has happened like this hose coming off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008
Displacement/CC's: vn900
Color: blue
Hi, this does seem odd, could be that the hose is starting to degrade? This happens quite a lot on car engines. How old is your bike, how many miles, etc.

• 2008 VN900 Classic
  • Luminous Polaris Blue (this is what Kawasaki call the colour)
  • Mutazu MU hard bags
  • Memphis Shades 21" Fats (black gradient)
  • Fehling sissy bar (and rack)
  • Kawasaki OEM crash bars
  • Mustang Day tripper seat and homemade tank bib (to hide the rub mark)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Bike is an 03 classic and it is almost ready to click to 60K miles. I think it was just the hose clamp as the thing is doing good now. I put on a stainless screw tightening clamp and have it real tight now. The old pinch clamp was able to be removed without pliers so it was weak. Hose is still good and not hard anyplace so I think it may be good to go now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode