Vulcan 1600 teaches Civic SI VTEC a lesson - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Vulcan 1600 teaches Civic SI VTEC a lesson

Was on my 07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 today at 5am headed to work. Bike has a trunk and bags, along with a K&N, exhaust and a tune, but is still a big heavy bagger. Brand new white civic SI 2 door starts doing the vroom, slow down, vroom slow down next to me and I'm thinking poop, wish I had the Camaro, I don't like racing a car on the bike, but he was being annoying and wouldn't go away. Road was route 15 north in VA, 4 lane with stop lights 55mph. Come to a light and his window is down a little and he's got a stupid smile. I still didn't want to race, and didn't want to lose to a civic, because I figured by 2014 they have to be low 14 second cars and my bike is 14 seconds stock I think.

I slowly take off and so does he then he smashes it, and I laugh in my full face helmet realizing that even in 2014, VTEC still is Virtually Torqueless Economy Car. I hit 2nd and decide to see what this heavy bike will do and grab a handful of throttle. The big 1600 roars to life and I stop his pull. We both hit 3rd and I start walking away, going from his rear bumper to out front fairly quickly, and he realizes he's screwed and quits when I have a bike length on him. Once a safe distance in front, I let off and look down, expecting to see 100mph after about 7-8 seconds of full throttle as that's what the Camaro would be at. NOPE...70 mph. The Vulcan is slow, and the civic was slower. Googled the SI when I got to work and its 15.1 stock.

Little background on the bike. My father in law bought it leftover new in 09, got the 5 year Kawasaki unlimited mile warranty (since manufacturers only expect about 2000miles a year). At 70k in 2012 he overheated it in traffic with some huge leg fairings he put on it blocking radiator flow, Kawasaki just replaced the front cylinder under warranty. That shitty repair blew up again in 2013 at 75k and Kawasaki put in a brand new motor. Then at 80k in 2013 he blew the trans and Kawasaki put in a new one right before the warranty expired. Then he didn't trust it for his 1000-4000 mile trips and went to sell it, but nobody wants a bike with 80k miles, and it needed a few electrical things fixed, so I grabbed it and fixed it, pulled the fairings off and she's perfect. I've put 1000 miles on it in about 3 weeks of riding and I couldn't be happier with the bike, 40mpg average and I've found some nice back roads for my commute making it much more enjoyable.

Last edited by Tinkerinmatt; 09-02-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode