Triple Clamp Bearing help needed - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Triple Clamp Bearing help needed

I posted a question a few months ago and got zero replies. I'm needing to replace my triple clamp bearings and have some questions.

My biggest question is how to safely get the front end off the ground. The Harbor freight motorcycle jack just isn't a good bet for my 07 Nomad.

Can ANYONE provide any advise on how to safely lift the front end?

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - Double Debaffle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
Sorry man, on my 1500 I need the stem bearings replaced. It goes to the Dr. Thursday. I know I don't have all the equipment or room to make this a home repair.

I have the Harbor Freight jack as well, I just make sure I have my bike tied off securely before I use it. My main issue with the jack is I live in the country and do not have a concrete slab to put it on.

Good luck.

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 AM

Crusty....nylon choker straps looped around crash bar each side at top mounting bolts works excellent. Below is copied from my recent reply to "violent wobble". (If you do need to replace the bearings, you will need to remove the wheel, fender and fork tubes) Hope this helps you out!

My 08 Nomad had the same problem. The head bearings were loose at about 6K miles. Its not a difficult job to make the repair. A word of caution. I had heard that a lot of these bikes had little grease on the bearings. Mine had very, very little grease top and bottom. So if you are going to do it, grease the bearings......not just tighten the nut! Note that these are taper roller bearings and appear to be good quality. Remove windshield first. I used choker straps at the top bolts of the front crash bar up to a chain hoist. Movers blanket on top of the tank. Raise bike to sit level on the floor. Remove handle bars (studs) and lay back on tank. Remove headlight bucket, covers, etc. Then remove top tree, stem nuts, etc. Wiggle fork to force top bearing out, up. Then slightly raise bike to expose lower bearing. Grease and lower bike back in place. Reassemble in reverse order to get the stem nut back on. Leave fork pinch bolts loose for now. Proceed to tighten and loosen the stem nut several times to seat the bearings. I then raised front wheel off the floor and tighten until fork would not "fall" to either side. Don't forget to tighten fork tube pinch bolts. Finish installing remainder of parts. I am on my third new front tire since and bike has no hint of a wobble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode