How far to the left or right - steering head Q's - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
How far to the left or right - steering head Q's

Hello Boys and Girls!

Just curious if there is supposed to be a mechanism of some sort in place to prevent the steering from going too far to the left or right? The fastening hardware for the windshield of my new to me 2008 VN1600 Nomad will actually contact the front of the gas tank. The bikes PO had slid the bike on a corner and done some cosmetic damage on the LH side of the bike including a dent on the front of the tank where the steering had gone too far over to the left. It seems unusual to me that the design of the bike would allow the hardware to make contact with the gas tank. I am wondering if some of the damage from the slide could be related to or causing excessive left and right travel of the steering? What do you think?

Thanks for reading.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 AM
wocka, wocka, wocka

ml, stock accessories from the mfg are bilt not too interfere with normal operation. If that is a stock and not an aftermarket windscreen and it is contacting the tank, then you have a mounting and fitment problem most likely incurred when the bike was dumped over.
go to a dealer and look at another model unit and see what diff you can identify between a proper mounted and fitted windscreen and yors. you may be able to see the area or item that has been reengineered using ground forces. which may give you ideas how to reengineer (beat, bend, replace) it back to mfg specs and not interfere with normal steering.

if it is an aftermarket item, usually they are bilt to not interfere. sometimes the hoser who installs stuff puts things together wrong and there are issues. most anybody can fix these if they study the problem. and tackle it.

not another boring list of mods;
14 guzzi v14, 14 Injun chieftain v18, 13 guzzi v7, 12 hardley 48
07 kaw v2k, 07 guzzi v11, 07 yam v17, 07 96ci 'lectraglide
06 88ci superglide, 05 hardley 883, 05 yam v17
04 zooki sv1k, 03 guzzi v11, 02 kaw v15
01 Honda 750, 00 hardley 883, 84 Honda v7 supermagna, 99 hardley 883
92 zooki v8 sport, 88 zooki 650 thumper, 84 Honda 500 thumper
80 Honda 360t, 78 Honda cb500f, 75 Honda cb750f
73 Honda cb500f, 73 Yam TX750 blow up bike, 72 Honda cb350t
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Thanks for the response Poncho! Makes good sense and I will go to a couple of dealers today to look at bikes like mine and check out the steering geometry. There is much to learn about this new to me ride and this is my first V-twin as all of my previous bikes have been parallel cylinders and V Four configurations.

Cheers!

Mike

2008 VN1600 NOMAD. Only 2,400 miles when I bought it in June of 2015. Everything stock for now, mods to come including the Big Three.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Hi folks!

Just to close the thread with some findings, Poncho was bang on with his speculation about the fitment of the windscreen being the issssssue. I took most of the front end of the bike off so that I could carefully look at the steering head and mechanics of the system. There were no problems that I could see with the steering head and there are no specific stops on the head. It is simply engineered to only go so far in either direction. I then reassembled the headlight bucket and the related trim pieces and attached the lower wind deflector pieces. On a full left turn of the steering the hardware came close to the tank although not close enough to contact the tank, even when I pull the dent out. I then installed the upper windscreen and there is where I discovered the problem with contacting the gas tank. As long as the windscreen is in it's lowest position it follows the contours of the mounting hardware and will not hit the tank. However, at least on my bike, as soon as you raise it up to higher positions it no longer conforms to the original mounting hardware profile and in fact juts rearward to the tank by almost an inch. More than enough to hit the tank and leave a big juicy dent if allowed to go full stop to the left.

The other interesting thing that I observed it that the steering will go closer to the tank at a full left lock than a full right lock.

So another lesson learned, expensive as it will be to repair the tank. I'm also not too happy having to keep the windscreen at such a low position as I am a tall guy and sit well above the windscreen even at it's highest position. So, for the others out there that have a windscreen at full height, check your clearance at full left lock, just in case your too close for comfort.

Cheers All!

Mike

2008 VN1600 NOMAD. Only 2,400 miles when I bought it in June of 2015. Everything stock for now, mods to come including the Big Three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode