Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Modular helmets

9K views 39 replies 30 participants last post by  Romans5.8 
#1 ·
Need some personal review of anyone having ....

Shark evo line 2 helmet...?

Bell Revolver helmet?

shoei helmet?

With all this hot weather been thinking of having a modular.....

have a half helmet but prefer modular cause i do mix slight city and most highway.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have the following helmet. I'm happy with it but I still wear my full Shoei helmet more often. The fog protection is as useless as any other helmet. Lasts for about a week. It's considerably heavier than a full helmet. It's kind of spacy looking too. The video does a great job showing all its features:

#23 ·
I have the following helmet. I'm happy with it but I still wear my full Shoei helmet more often. The fog protection is as useless as any other helmet. Lasts for about a week. It's considerably heavier than a full helmet. It's kind of spacy looking too. The video does a great job showing all its features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v1mEq-IAA
To prevent you visor or sunglasses to get foggy clean them with tooth paste and rinse with water, this can be done as required.

#3 ·
I've got the Shark Evoline 2. It's pricy, but I love it.

I rarely ride with the chinguard up because I prefer the protection, however the convenience of flipping it up to talk to someone or get a drink is great.

Vents in the chin guard and top seem to do well, noise with chin/visor down seems to be about average.

The internal sunvisor doesn't seem dark enough but sure beats pulling off the road to put on sunglasses. The mechanism is simple and effective (I've seen other helmets that use a springloaded switch on the side to drop the 2nd visor fail)

It's a good looking, good fitting helmet. Be sure to try one on, the cheek guards are pretty snug. I had to cut some padding out of the ear pads to get my new UClear HBC100 earphones to stop squishing my ears (review on those coming soon)

Shoot me a message if you have any specific questions.

#4 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Let me be the 3rd support of the Shark Evoline...mine is the older 1st gen. model and I wouldn't have another helmet...except, of course, a gen. 2 Evoline. During the summer, I ride my chinbar open around town and closed when I get out on the road. Opening and closing the bar is a one hand operation.

Donning the helmet while wearing glasses is a snap. Plus, donning is earbud friendly for those who employ same.

The only complaint is a tendency of the shaded visor to collect road sand when the main visor is open. The sand will get caught between the visor and the visor slot making shaded visor scratches inevitable.

On the plus side, the outer visor is scratch free and is still doing a commendable, though not perfect, job vs. fog...and this is after 2+ years of commuting.

#12 ·
I have one... Fair price, works fine.. Comfortable... Yes

#13 ·
Have been looking at the Nolan N104 pretty seriously. Read all the reviews, and there are lots of them...... Prices are coming down on them as well. Only bad part about it is finding them to see if they fit. I know they have a more oval fit than round which works in my case but always nice to check that little thing off the list before plunking down the moolah. Only place I can see that has them down here is in Daytona.......go figure! Went up to JP Cycles up in Ormond to look at them since they have them on their website and nada! Should have headed South a little bit! Oh well was a nice 130 mile ride on back roads in near perfect weather.

#15 ·
Picked up a Shoei Neotec last week. It will take a few more weeks for it to conform to my noggin, but what a difference from my old full-face. I love the quieter ride, and the flip-down sun visor is perfect. The face shield has a lot more position-stops than my old one did. The vents are crazy good. Opening the front vent, I can just barely feel the breeze brushing my eyebrows as the air flows up the shield. When I open the top vent, I can actually feel the air blowing my hair around on top of my head! That is air-flow! And finally (so far) it seems to cut through the air better as well. I don't feel like my head is getting pushed around as much as before. But after saying all of that, it is one expensive helmet. But I figure, seeing how my head is in it for nearly three hours (or more) every day, it would be a good investment.

#16 · (Edited)
My GF and I have Shoei Multitec modular helmets. I tried on many, many brands and Shoei is the one that fit best on my head, by a clear margin. Was all set to get a Nolan based on reviews but it just wasn't comfortable for me.

You have to try them on to see what fits you best. There can be a big difference between head shapes and brands.

BTW, I seem to recall reading that some modular helmets may not meet certifications with the chin bar up. Have not pursued that in detail.

#20 ·
Bad part about it is that Nolan only has two shell sizes and the break is at the large/Xlarge. Means that the Large will have the least amount of padding in it. Am a little over the large size in measurements already.Think I just talked myself into the XL!

#26 ·
Went over to Daytona today and tried on some different helmets. Weather was bad so it was a great day to do something like this. Tried on Shoei, Nolan, Bell, Scorpion and the HJC RPHA Max helmet. The fit was best on the Neotec and the Nolan N-104. Looked closely at the ventilation and fit and finish of these two helmets, the only advantage easily discernable that I could tell was in the ease of removal of the visor. Shoei wins this hands down however the Nolan is fairly easy as well. So, for the $200 + difference in price I picked up a large Nolan N-104 and a Scala G9 Rider comm system. Side benefit of the helmet was that the rest of the buffeting I was experiencing is pretty much non existant now. Lowers helped the most and the aerodynamics of the helmet did the rest.

#27 · (Edited)
Well, my old Shoei multitec was due for replacement. I decided to give the HJC RPHA (pronounced ARFA) a try since my dealer was having a 20% sale, and I got a pretty good deal on the price.

Fit and finish is real nice. Sunshield looks a little lighter than I was expecting but I am going to give it a shot before replacing it with a darker one. Update: Sunshield worked out great so no need for my sunglasses or a darker shield. Very light compared to the Multitec. Easy to use the buttons and releases.

This helmet is supposed to have great ventilation and exceptionally quite according to the Tube reviews.

Update: I have now tested the rideability of the helmet. It has exceptional air ventilation and is very quite at high speed. Open the vents and I get just a slight amount of noise but excellent air.
Also, running the Scala Rider communications wires was the easiest I have ever installed. They run over the inside padding and fit into pockets with padding over them. Very comfortable and I hear much better than I did on other helmets due to how quite the helmet is.

#28 ·
I have always worn a full face helmet starting wayyy back in high school. I begaan riding again after a long absence and I like/prefer the modular helmet. Mine is a Fuel brand, may not be as expensive as the others above, but I like the protection compared to brain buckets and skid lids or even 3/4 helmets.
JMO.

#30 · (Edited)
Update on the Nolan N-104. Have worn it for the better part of a thousand or so miles now. Comfortable and quiet. Actually the helmet is quiet enough that when you open the upper vents you can hear a noticeable difference but not objectionable at all. When its cold out I shut off all the venta and stay pretty toasty in it.
The Scala Comm system works like a champ. Even with my hearing issues the volume on the stereo radio isn't up much at all and sounds pretty good. Have 6 preset stations in it and scroll through them easily. That button is the easiest one to find. The automatic volume adjustment works well and the Bluetooth to the phone is great. Have taken phone calls at 55-65mph with no issues. Thick gloves make finding the correct buttons a little challenging but Scala made the top buttons in a High-Low-High configuration and the side buttons have a raised divider in between them to make it easier.

#31 ·
Shark Evo 2

Just got myShark evo 2 a week ago, verynice looking helmet, fits perfectly, feels it can take a beating. I'm veryhappy with how easy it is to gofrom full face toa 3/4 helmet, I really love that the chin protection goes all the way to tha back of the helmet.

#33 ·
A couple of years ago my daughter ordered a Nolan 100E Flashback directly from Italy because she thought I needed a particular color scheme they didn't sell in the states. Anyway, It's a great helmet and cost twice as much as I could afford and it doesn't have a DOT approved sticker on it because - you guessed it.

#35 ·
Arthur Fulmer modular.....

I have an Arthur Fulmer modular helmet that fits me very well and was bought at a good price ($150 if I remember correctly). Haven't crash-tested it yet (fortunately) but it seems to be sturdily made. It's comfortable and works out well when I pull the windshield off my Drifter during the hot summer months.
Smokey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.