Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Whine on decel

8K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  whoaru99 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2004 vulcan 2000 and I've noticed that while slowing down in first gear with the clutch disengaged I hear a distinctive whine sound coming from the front left side of the engine. This noise is not there in any other gear, not on acceleration. Is this normal?

#8 ·
It sounds like that may be it, but it seems to be originating from the lower left front. I've checked the front drive pulley and it was good. The bike only has 17k miles on it. I know with the clutch disengaged the gears still turn. The odd thing is it only occurs when I pull the clutch in in first. All other gears are silent. I contacted the dealership that had the maintenance records on file and they said there's never been an issue, just routine maintenance performed

#12 ·
Just got back from riding and noticed it's only present when the clutch is pulled in and while coasting to a stop in first above 10mph. My last bike had really loud pipes and I never heard it, but that may be why. It only occurs in first with the clutch disengaged. No other time. Sounds like a whine with a doo doo doo cadence, if that makes any sense. I haven't noticed any issues, shifts fine.

#16 ·
Thanks, I was thinking it was the straight cut gears chattering, normal of course, but wanted to make sure. Someone mentioned the front pulley. I'm aware that's a problem area, but I checked and it was still hold 130ftlbs of torque. Plus the sound is definitely coming from the lower front left side of the engine. Once again thanks for the reassurance

#21 ·
The belt can make such a whirring noise at lower speeds changing to more of a whining (higher frequency) noise at higher speed. Check your belt tension and make sure it's not too tight, that can make the noise much louder and place unnecessary stress on the spindle and rear pulley bearings. My 08' was far too tight when I took delivery, I'm not sure if it was the factory or some hamfisted tech that did that upon uncrating and initial inspection.

#24 ·
Having trouble with my 07 Vulcan nomad final drive. Make a whrrring noise when i decelerate. none when I accelerate. starts at gear box then rolls back to the final hub on the wheel. Looked at the ring gear when i changed the oil. Saw no damage. I'm at a loss maybe a bearing ? It lessons when the clutch is disengaged.

#25 ·
I suggest you start your own thread in the subforum for your bike (this is the VN2000 subforum). More folks familiar with the specifics of your bike are likely to see your post there. Be sure to include the year and specific model, describe the problem in detail, and list any work recently done, especially with the rear drive or associated components.

#26 ·
We took it apart. I'm not analyzing oil. I have problems. It was the output shaft bearings. After getting snubbed by Kawasaki wanted me to drop 2,000 or 3,000 dollars and waiting weeks to get parts we pulled the output shaft and pilled the bearings out and took the numbers to weaver auto parts and had them in 3 days. put it back together. Asked Kawasaki to pull races for me and they said sure at a hundred and seventy dollars. So i went into them with a brass drift. They came right out. put it back together. Checked my service Manuel. Checked the preload and the back lash. it's together and running for couple of hundred dollars. The inside bearing from Kawasaki. They would not sell it to me without the pinion and shaft @ 1,000.00 the outer bearing was 21.00. I paid 42.00 for both bearings. Have a great day if you have any problems get a Manuel and fixit yourself. Thanks to everyone on this site and good luck.