LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2004
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Dark Purple Prizm
Garage
Wink hot shut down

Hello guys. I have a perplexing issue , 04 V2K ,with a Motor trike conversion only 1875 ORG miles on it . Im the second owner. its got an issue . runs fine until ambient air temp is above 80 & then after about 29 mi it will shut down with no sputter nothing.just like you turned off the switch Cycle the key & the speedo rotates but No injection system power up? Let it cool off & boom away you go again till the next time Ive checked battery voltage , coolant is NOT low, I suspect it is NOT actually overheating the coolant or engine,as the fan rarely cuts in. Id like to take my temp gun with next time it does it but Id likely be 20 miles from home , I know my Dr suggested I walk more, but I don't think this is what he meant.
Its as if some module overheats . I have NOT been able to determine for certain if the power loss is ignition or fuel injection save for the fact that when you cycle the key after it quits there is NO whirrr etc from the fuel injection system. Suggestions pls
BTW , this is NOT my first V2K, its my fourth & I have NEVER experienced anything like this with the other three.

08 V2K Classic

plus

04 Vulcan 2000

Old school turbocharged VW trike

VROC # 7003
ROG # 175
RKMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:30 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995/ Kawasaki/vn1500
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: Black / Cream
Garage
Hi @rdk2.3 I feel your pain just had the same issue on my 88 after extensive tests on bench trying to make it happen which it did twice i could find nothing wrong then it would not do it again BUT the last time I tested it to try& make it break it boiled when i shut it off So I pulled the whole cooling system off , flushed the rad , nothing wrong there , fan worked with 12volts , pulled the pump cover off , nothing wrong there , pulled the thermostat found it only opened 1mm instead off wot it should pulled 1 out of 800 which opens sooner works a treat but fan not working so going to hard wire it for when stood in stood traffic
HOPE you get yours sorted because its so FRUSTRATING

Although we may be miles apart , WE are FRIENDS that have never met !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 103ci
Color: Black
Garage
I am not aware of any high temperature engine shutdown feature on these bikes. What you have described sounds like an overload condition in the ECM. If you can obtain one for a loan, that would be the best way to test it. Since you have already owned 4 of these bikes, you know the parts are becoming increasingly difficult to find. I would recommend buying another just for parts if you intend to keep riding this model.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995/ Kawasaki/vn1500
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: Black / Cream
Garage
Right Lads update on My 88 problems After putting it all back together & running it on the bench for 45min it never mist a beat then it went on to 1 cyl then stopped no spark no fuel pump So I pulled the coils off tests show BAD coils but when cold it fires back up, will test pickups after tea & let you know wot I find

Although we may be miles apart , WE are FRIENDS that have never met !
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2004
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Dark Purple Prizm
Garage
Just a quick update , found the issue , it was a burnt/corroded wire on back of the fuse block , which powered up the fuel pump relay. seems good now
magicgrotto likes this.

08 V2K Classic

plus

04 Vulcan 2000

Old school turbocharged VW trike

VROC # 7003
ROG # 175
RKMC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page