Gas mileage - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan VN2000G8F
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Black
Gas mileage

Has anyone discovered how far they can go with single bar on their gas gauge? I ask because that's when I refuel and I usually put in about 3.5 gallons. Which means there's still 2 gallons in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Those bars are far from accurate, I only use them as general guide but keep an eye on my trip meter for a more reliable guide.

I know my bike will give me from 170 to 220 miles per tank depending on load conditions, I have gotten as much as 52 mpg in certain favorable conditions (bit loaded but one up in mountain roads w/no traffic and as little as 33-35 mpg 2 up with the trailer and some traffic.

So I have a good idea how many miles I get from a tankful in any given scenario. I never want to risk it though, specially when in unknown areas where you just don't knos if the next gas station will be open for business.

Only one time have I run out of gas and my bike just would not starts again, and my dash was still showing one bar up to that point. I was in own and not that far from my house so one call and 15 min or so later I was on my way again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chanoc
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Top Contributor

I don't think there is a science to the fuel gauge that will work. I generally allow 35 to 40 miles per "bar" and have ridden 30 miles on the "light" too so I don't have a definitive answer lol.... Two up REALLY cuts that back, especially in the old days when I was a serious wide load. The day I rode the 30 miles on the light was two up with luggage..... extra stress in that we were literally chugging up a hill into the mountain town of Grande Cache Alberta, passing an extremely large timberwolf with bright blue eyes and a vicious snarl for us as he gnawed on a moose carcass..... ALWAYS carry gas can with me now, ALWAYS!

2004 VN2000
V&H Pipes
BAK, Mustang Seats, Scootworks Tour Trunk
HD Softail lowers, Memphis shield
Darkside Falken Zeix 205/65/16 rear, Bridgestone Excedra Max front
2008 900C as barhopper

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 V2KLT
I usually get around 40mpg and rarely ride it until the light comes on. When I do push it, I can put nearly 5 gallons in the tank, only a few times just over. I trust the odometer far more than the fuel gauge anyway, anything past 170 miles and I'm looking for the next gas station.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Top Contributor

I figure I have safely/easy 30 miles left when the light comes on. Presuming, that is, I drive relatively normal once the light comes on. Round here though, it would be hard to find 30 miles between gas if erring on the side of caution.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:22 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: metal flake orange
On my last tank I went 194.3 miles on 4 gallons. 48.5 mpg. non-ethanol 90 octane.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Top Contributor

Rode thru the Canadian Rockies from Edson thru Jasper and Valemount and spent the night in Clearwater...Each bar lasted approx 50 minutes, two up with luggage (maybe 600lbs total payload)
Mileage each way was 500kms (330 mi?)Was pretty paranoid about finding fuel stops with 91 octane on the way up (topped up twice)
Only once on the way home at Valemount and then rode approx 290kms (200mi) back home.Just dropped to the last bar on the way into my garage.
Traffic was brutally slow on the way there, averaging 40-50 mph. On the way back, I travelled 60 to 65 all the way thru the parks and then 75ish for the last hour or so on the superslab. I added the receipts up, did the math from metric and it looks like just over 14 gallons for the trip...(63L) Also used a quart of Castrol 10/40..... bike is getting olde, just like the rider

2004 VN2000
V&H Pipes
BAK, Mustang Seats, Scootworks Tour Trunk
HD Softail lowers, Memphis shield
Darkside Falken Zeix 205/65/16 rear, Bridgestone Excedra Max front
2008 900C as barhopper
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:03 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
Simple - do the math and figure out your MPG, and since you have 2 more gallons - do the math for the remaining miles you can go to empty engine off.

1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode