V2K Wheel Bearings - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2007 V2K
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Red
V2K Wheel Bearings

Thought I would share my experience with wheel bearings on the V2K. Last spring on our trip through the states the front wheel bearings went out, a bit of grinding noises came out of the front but made it to a motel in Bowling Green Kentucky, late afternoon on Friday. Called 3 Kawi dealers around Nashville and none had any front bearings, these bearings are used on most of Kawasakis big bikes. One dealer said he could get them in a couple of days but would not be able to install them for two weeks, not too impressed with the dealers. Luckily there was an independent shop in Bowling Green that had the right bearings and changed them on Saturday morning, good people. The bike had 70,000 km on it, had plans of installing new bearings at the same time as front tire when we got home but alas didn't make it. Once we got home, went on another trip to BC and the new bearings went out again after only 2500kms, found some in a bearing shop and me and my buddy changed them in a truck repair shop. This winter before our spring trip to the states, installed new tires, new rear bearings, new belt and new bearings in swing arm. One rear bearing was slightly rough and the swing arm seal had went and their was moisture in the bearings. The belt had three small holes in it from pushing through rocks, one was on the edge so replaced it. From now on am going to replace all bearings about every 40,000 km. Also, before I install the new bearings I pull the bearing seals off and stuff them full of grease, not enough in there from the factory in my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 AM
Top Contributor

I feel your pain lol. We were in Deadwood SD when the bearing on the drive belt vibration dampner let go, dropping the driven pulley to the side and locking up the rear wheel. Wifey launched, tucked and rolled but I tried to stop the bike from flopping. Ended up under it and it took 3 little people to lift it off my leg. Burns weren't too bad and I was able to rig up the pulley to stay in until we got back to Canada. Looked all over southern Saskatchewan for a bearing and finally found one in a Heston Farm Machinery dealership. Installed it, got home, went on the Forum, found out that the 2006 models had 2 bearings....... ordered a hub from Japan..... Now I change my front bearings and rear bearings every other year, so about 20K miles give or take. In truth tho, I was a wide load back then, and my wife was no ballerina so we NEEDED to change the bearings more often than we do now. (Keto diet....-124lbs between us). I ordered the front bearing puller doohickey and I had all the equip to do the others in my shop. Last three bearing changes were done with OEM bearings from a dealership in Spruce Grove.... As for the belt, I punched a half inch hole thru on a ride thru the glaciers. Rode like that for two more years with no problem (The belt is almost twice the size and thickness of a "comparable" Harley). Changed the belt out, trimmed that plastic junk "protecting" the belt back a bit to stop it from funneling gravel from the hub right onto the belt and I have had no other issues.

2004 VN2000
V&H Pipes
BAK, Mustang Seats, Scootworks Tour Trunk
HD Softail lowers, Memphis shield
Darkside Falken Zeix 205/65/16 rear, Bridgestone Excedra Max front
2008 900C as barhopper
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue/Grey
Bearing lubrication

Hello there , contrary to popular beleif bearings need a small amount of grease to work properly , overpacking them will only increase it's working temperature and will cause premature failing . Here is one link that will shed light on this and many other lubrication themes
https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ation-problems
Hope you find it helpful

Last edited by MN-Rider; 06-01-2019 at 07:26 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Danad Wow, must have been quite a ride, glad no serious injuries. When the front bearings went it handled the same, just god awful sounds coming out of the front end. Gonna look at trimming that plastic so called guard, on the wifes Yamaha there was no rock damages, she travels the same routes I do.

Archie Interesting article, but, in my experience, the bearings I repack on trailers, sleds, etc seem to last a lot better, think I'll keep stuffing them but going to see if there is more research on this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:41 PM
Top Contributor

AFAIK, the bearings of topic are all pre-lubed, sealed bearings.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
AFAIK, the bearings of topic are all pre-lubed, sealed bearings.
How true, but , pull out the seals on both sides of the bearing, stuff with grease and push the seal back in, quite easy and does not hurt the seal. It really is amazing how some prelubed bearings have next to no grease, a lot have a little grease on one side, when I am done a shortage of grease is not a problem.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 AM
Top Contributor

You are, of course, free to do as you wish but I'm not opening new, sealed bearings. I may tear in on a used one if I replace it, but not a new one.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan VN2000A
Color: metallic blue
Garage
i put new bearings in mine on every other tire change...they are cheap enough that i can afford the extra insurance of new bearings.

Life. Nobody gets out alive.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:44 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Blue/Grey
Oil seal

Hello alll , another thing you must take into consideration is to replace the oil seals also IMHO bearing failure in most cases is caused by grease degrading because it becomes contaminated (water , dirt) rather tajn not enough grease in them , and the oil seals are the first barrier .
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Top Contributor

These are sealed bearings.

I do not believe the seals of that type bearing are available separately as maintenance/repair parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode