FI warning light on after mods - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: White
FI warning light on after mods

I purchased my 2007 V2k a year ago, waiting until this winter to do mods. I put on Cobra 2into1 exhaust with a power commander 3 and K&N air filter. Since it is a California model i had to get the dynojet O2 sensor eliminator. I tried a couple different maps from PC website and settled on the one closest to my mods. Since the installs the bike runs awesome, maybe a little on the rich side as my mileage went down some, but runs very strong. I do have an issue when running in 4th gear 65mph or above and also 5th gear 75mph and above the FI light will come on and stay on until i shut the bike off. It doesnt appear to affect the performace but its pretty annoying especially on my commute home from work at 1am its a very bright light in my face. Only thing i can think of is that bypassing the 02 sensor it is searching to change the ratio at those specific RPM ranges and it sees nothing even though i purchased the special bypass connector. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you! (the light never comes on riding around town or at any other time)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:49 PM
Top Contributor

There are 122 pages for the DFI system in the Service Manual for my 2008 VN2K.

Mine does not have Cali emissions but, regardless, O2 sensor/sensor bypass issue is but only one of any number of things it could be.

There may be stored codes in the ECU. The SM describes how to retrieve them. It's a bit of a process.

My $0.02? First thing to do is get a copy of the OEM service manual.

Mine has V&H Powershots exhaust, Arlen Ness Big Sucker air filter, and PC-III. FI light has not come on with that stuff installed except at start like it is supposed to. This spring I am replacing the PC-III with PC-V + Autotune. Have it already, just needs to be swapped/installed.

Last edited by whoaru99; 03-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I read the manual. Went through the procedure but I could not get the light to flash a code at me. I unhooked battery for more than 30 seconds to see if that might reset anything. I’ll be riding tomorrow so I’ll know then. With having the PC3 installed will that interfere with retrieving codes?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Is there a way to disable the FI light? If say it is the O2 sensor making it go off.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:42 PM
Top Contributor

If you disable the FI light, how would you know if another legal code came along that could leave you stranded?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
If you disable the FI light, how would you know if another legal code came along that could leave you stranded?
+1. I believe Ivans Performance has done a MAP for the 2000. He can customize an ECM flash for your specific modifications that should eliminate error codes caused by the mods. I had him re-flash my 09 1700 ECM and my modifications stopped right there. It woke the bike up, no more hesitation on throttle up, no exhaust popping on deceleration, cooling fans came on at lower temps so no more off timing in high heat conditions. It is not cheap but well worth it IMHO.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

I agree with not bypassing the FI light, would not be a smart move. I think I may know the issue now. I looked online where I bought the o2 eliminator part and the picture shows 2 resistors on the end of the 4 pin plug. The one I have installed only has one resistor. Seems to me I got sent the wrong one. I will be ordering a different eliminator through my Kawasaki dealer that should hopefully be the right one and fix the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode