post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen!!! View Post
Time to change oil on my 09' Nomad VN1700 so I went to my local automotive store to purchase Mobile 1 20W-50 v-twin oil, K&N hi flow filter, and the aluminum crush washer. The clerk told me that they didn't have a 12mm aluminum crush washers but could offer me copper or nylon. He recommended a nylon crush washer and I naively accepted his advice. Would anyone care to comment on how I should proceed?
I don't think I would use the nylon one. I just wouldn't trust it. I definitely would not use a copper one. There is a high potential for galvanic corrosion between aluminum and copper.
whoaru99 likes this.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:58 AM
Top Contributor

Galvanic corrosion is a good point. Copper and aluminum are towards opposite ends of the scale.
post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Yeah, I'm sorta thinking the same. There is much hoopla about very little in this thread.

In about 1/2 hour I'll be changing my oil, using the original 2008 washer, and the two original 2008 orings, and no torque wrench.

And what's going to happen? Exactly nothing, same as every other time, except the oil and filter are changed. There will be zero leaks, no stripped threads, and the Earth is not going to switch poles.

Once again, anyone wants to change them, hey, good on them but the prophecies of gloom and doom are greatly exaggerated.
When I was given an apprentice to work with, I was told to look at his attitude towards the tasks I gave him. Naturally, an apprentice would be given tasks at the lower skill-level, since he was inexperienced.
The implication being: if he can't take the simpler tasks seriously, why give him anything more challenging?
So while he was busy telling me how much his "professors" at Community College taught him, and how much he knew, I was watching his work habits, his attention to detail, and seeing if he could take instruction, "on-the-job".
You see, my boss and I both knew: You can act and talk like you know it all and have it all under control - but the proof was how you worked, if you gave attention to detail, and your general attitude about the tasks you were given. Why would anyone trust him to make delicate adjustments or overhaul an engine or transmission, if he would short-cut the simplist (yet necessary) tasks?

post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathaway View Post
When I was given an apprentice to work with, I was told to look at his attitude towards the tasks I gave him. Naturally, an apprentice would be given tasks at the lower skill-level, since he was inexperienced.
The implication being: if he can't take the simpler tasks seriously, why give him anything more challenging?
So while he was busy telling me how much his "professors" at Community College taught him, and how much he knew, I was watching his work habits, his attention to detail, and seeing if he could take instruction, "on-the-job".
You see, my boss and I both knew: You can act and talk like you know it all and have it all under control - but the proof was how you worked, if you gave attention to detail, and your general attitude about the tasks you were given. Why would anyone trust him to make delicate adjustments or overhaul an engine or transmission, if he would short-cut the simplist (yet necessary) tasks?
LOL.

Experience provides confidence to ascertain what is a delicate or critical point of operations vs. a non-critical thing. Taking the steps to ensure a fuel nozzle is properly installed in the fuel manifold in the combustion section of a turbine engine is a completely different matter than ascertaining the condition of a gasket on a motorcycle oil drain plug.

There is a place for "by the book" obedience and there is a place where experience provides confidence in simple matters. Apparently some people have neither the experience nor the confidence to understand and manage the difference.

Now that's out of the way, I have to do something that requires a true degree of precision and critical operation...making coffee. 18.18:1 ratio of water to coffee, freshly ground beans of proper grind (home-roasted Yemen Al-Haimah Peaberry by the way, to a perfect City+), 205F water, and 4 minutes steep time.

Last edited by whoaru99; 04-09-2019 at 07:32 AM.
post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
LOL.

Experience provides confidence to ascertain what is a delicate or critical point of operations vs. a non-critical thing. Taking the steps to ensure a fuel nozzle is properly installed in the fuel manifold in the combustion section of a turbine engine is a completely different matter than ascertaining the condition of a gasket on a motorcycle oil drain plug.

There is a place for "by the book" obedience and there is a place where experience provides confidence in simple matters. Apparently some people have neither the experience nor the confidence to understand and manage the difference.
Underestimating the importance of any task is how you turn a simple job into a nightmare.

It is really hard to talk about the non-critical nature of the job you were performing, when the end result is a shelled engine when the drain plug falls out. You will have to "understand and manage the difference" between critical and non, when trying to figure out how to fix an aluminum crankcase, all because your pride prevented you from just buying a $1.00 washer or using a torque wrench (because this is just an oil change).
Even if that is just a minuscule risk - all the b.s. about working on turbine engines kind of goes out the window at that point.
Especially when the alternative is just to do the job correctly, and buy the correct parts.
post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen!!! View Post
Time to change oil on my 09' Nomad VN1700 so I went to my local automotive store to purchase Mobile 1 20W-50 v-twin oil, K&N hi flow filter, and the aluminum crush washer. The clerk told me that they didn't have a 12mm aluminum crush washers but could offer me copper or nylon. He recommended a nylon crush washer and I naively accepted his advice. Would anyone care to comment on how I should proceed?
I think you already answered your own question, Glen - find aluminum crush washers.

Last edited by Hathaway; 04-09-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:54 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:

Underestimating the importance of any task is how you turn a simple job into a nightmare.

It is really hard to talk about the non-critical nature of the job you were performing, when the end result is a shelled engine when the drain plug falls out. You will have to "understand and manage the difference" between critical and non, when trying to figure out how to fix an aluminum crankcase, all because your pride prevented you from just buying a $1.00 washer or using a torque wrench (because this is just an oil change).
Even if that is just a minuscule risk - all the b.s. about working on turbine engines kind of goes out the window at that point.
Especially when the alternative is just to do the job correctly, and buy the correct parts.
The assertions are sophomoric at best, although the pontification is mildly amusing.

Last edited by whoaru99; 04-09-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=whoaru99;3021246]I've worked on everything from those little model airplane engines to the engines on B-1 bombers, and all sorts of stuff between. I'll watch out for that drain plug. Sounds like a real challenge.

Sophomoric? Oh, Tut-Tut, dear fellow (ahem, ahem) we super-senior, master-chief, grand pubah mechanics are so sophisticated, educated, and elitist, don't you know...oh, dear, dear, We are amused!The mere idea of using a new washer and a torque wrench? Oh my, my - I do believe I'm getting the vapors!
post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoc1077 View Post
Shit, I gotta change my oil!!!!!
Yea, i need to change mine also.. do it every spring.

And I'm going to use the same washers I've been using for 15 years now.

Living life on the wild side.. cause I'm a rebel!!

oo.. and this thread has done got all stupid.

whoaru99 and chanoc1077 like this.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:

... Oh my, my - I do believe I'm getting the vapors!
Ahhh...the smell of JP-4 in the morning. Brings back some fond memories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode