Color: purple
If I put this exhaust on?

Freedom Performance Exhaust Chrome Sharp Curve Radius Kawasaki VN2000 MK00003

Will I have to make any modifications such as O2 sensor etc? Thanks. 2004 vn2K

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 02:20 AM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S and 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT and 2016 Honda Zoomer
Displacement/CC's: 650cc, 900cc and 100cc
Color: Black, white and silver
Send a message via AIM to Trapster Send a message via Skype™ to Trapster
Lightbulb Big expense and illegal

I'm not going to make any friends with this post, but here it is anyway.

I'm not a big fan of aftermarket pipes for several reasons:

I do not believe having loud pipes is the answer for safety reasons. I use a headlight modulator (legal throughout and states and Canada) and high vis jacket and helmet. I also avoid traveling at night.
It seems a must get and expensive device to re-tune your injectors and timing if you install after market pipes (is it really worth it?)
I like the low growl of my stock pipes and when I punch the throttle it doesn't scare the bejeepies out of everyone in a cage within 30 feet.
Depending on the cop, they can write tickets for loud pipes and it is against federal law to modify the exhaust. State laws that are more restrictive, like in California are very strict and some motorcyclists are complaining.
I think loud exhausts are a public nuisance and are a selfish addition to saying "hey look at me, I'm cool", like playing your brand of music way to loud.
Hate to say it, but some motorcyclists seem to think that sound ordinances and local, state and federal laws do not apply to them.

Studies seem to indicate that loud pipes do not help for safety reasons, and can create a hazard. BUT, the question is, how non partisan is the study?

As one legal site said, ".......the operation of an illegally LOUD motor vehicle on the public roadways of America is an intentional, willful, “assault” on the individual, the general public exposed to same."

I used to have a loud bike in the late 90's and all it did for me was turn heads, probably 90% of them saying "hey look, it's another 2 wheeled AH!"

Trapster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truckin.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	223362  
warrbucks and gwstang like this.

Last edited by Trapster; 07-18-2018 at 02:22 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:22 AM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 88
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Dark Blue & Silver
Garage
I'm with @Trapster on mostly all of what he said, except safety. I do believe louder pipes help save lives of bikers, within a reasonable noise level. I've had many times driving my car along the highway, windows up and music playing (not loudly at all, I like my eardrums) and did not notice the motorcycle coming up between lanes. Blame that on my momentary inattentiveness and the fact I had no idea he was coming up since I couldn't hear him. Then I've had times in the same scenario that I notice the bike coming up because I heard his pipes, being a big rumbling Harley or screaming GSXR. That gave me time to notice and react to him sooner.

I run the stock pipes on my Vulcan and while they aren't loud per-say, they have gotten drivers attention, especially while lane splitting. I don't speed between cars, I just go along leisurely maybe 5-6mph faster than they're going and pop the throttle every few cars to announce my arrival I've noticed a lot more people tend to move over a little in their lane as I pass when I do that since they heard me and then checked their mirror. Then there's some that don't care, either on their phone or blasting their annoying music that sounds like screaming goats. So that's my point of view on pipes....Louder is better, but to a point.

Keep it sane.
gwstang and Trapster like this.

1987 EX-500 "Siskiyou" w/ 60,000 miles as of 5/8/2018. Currently RIP with spun rod bearings
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1992 Vulcan 88 "Shasta" w/ 44,000 miles as of 7/14/2018

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S and 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic LT and 2016 Honda Zoomer
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kodiak_ View Post
I'm with @Trapster on mostly all of what he said, except safety. I do believe louder pipes help save lives of bikers, within a reasonable noise level. I've had many times driving my car along the highway, windows up and music playing (not loudly at all, I like my eardrums) and did not notice the motorcycle coming up between lanes. Blame that on my momentary inattentiveness and the fact I had no idea he was coming up since I couldn't hear him. Then I've had times in the same scenario that I notice the bike coming up because I heard his pipes, being a big rumbling Harley or screaming GSXR. That gave me time to notice and react to him sooner.

I run the stock pipes on my Vulcan and while they aren't loud per-say, they have gotten drivers attention, especially while lane splitting. I don't speed between cars, I just go along leisurely maybe 5-6mph faster than they're going and pop the throttle every few cars to announce my arrival I've noticed a lot more people tend to move over a little in their lane as I pass when I do that since they heard me and then checked their mirror. Then there's some that don't care, either on their phone or blasting their annoying music that sounds like screaming goats. So that's my point of view on pipes....Louder is better, but to a point.

Keep it sane.
My feeling, if you must keep it loud, then do it, within reason. My old bike was loud and I really had to baby it late at night so as not to wake up the dead.
_Kodiak_ and gwstang like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 AM
Premium Member

Garage
There's some Harley riders around here in Sacramento that are just obnoxious! Stupid loud exhausts, plus stupid loud music playing from their stereos....Even late at night. It's almost 2AM here and I just heard three go by not fifteen minutes ago. Times like that make me wish I were a cop so I could ticket them for SO many things! Maybe they'd learn after a few times.
tew47 and gwstang like this.

1987 EX-500 "Siskiyou" w/ 60,000 miles as of 5/8/2018. Currently RIP with spun rod bearings

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:53 AM
Premium Member

Cool

Quote:
There's some Harley riders around here in Sacramento that are just obnoxious! Stupid loud exhausts, plus stupid loud music playing from their stereos....Even late at night. It's almost 2AM here and I just heard three go by not fifteen minutes ago. Times like that make me wish I were a cop so I could ticket them for SO many things! Maybe they'd learn after a few times.
Complain direct to your Sac-A-Tomatoes representative, the mayors office and the chief of police. The Harley riders are breaking the law and the politicians want your vote, so let that work in your favor.

I'm from Shallow Alto, Sac-A-Tomatoes seems to fit just as well, besides, being a Northern Californicater I have license to be silly.
gwstang likes this.

Last edited by Trapster; 07-18-2018 at 03:58 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:57 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Yeah, I think I'll do that next time I see them ride by. I'll try and get some plate numbers And Jesus, I haven't met anyone that knew about Sac-A-Tomatoes since I was an OTR trucker!

Oops, forgot. You neck of WI is amazing, BTW

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'll do that next time I see them ride by. I'll try and get some plate numbers And Jesus, I haven't met anyone that knew about Sac-A-Tomatoes since I was an OTR trucker!

Oops, forgot. You neck of WI is amazing, BTW
I'll be flying into WI next month on the 7th, staying for 2 months, going to see my son in Ohio and my brother in Vermont, so I plan on giving the 900 a work out. I can not wait, everyday waiting seems like a year.

Next year I'll be rolling into my 50 year class reunion in, you guessed it, Shallow Alto, the home of Silicon Valley on steroids. It's also the home of a 1 bedroom cottage in downtown Palo Alto, asking price is $2.2 million. And half the people it seems addicted to happy pills.

After high school, I rented a large room in a downtown house for $35 a month that had a walk in closet so big that I turned it into my bedroom.

Visit yes, live there, no, even if I could afford it.

Trapster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumb.aspx.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	223366  
_Kodiak_ likes this.

Last edited by Trapster; 07-18-2018 at 04:10 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:06 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan VN2000A
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: metallic blue
Garage
opinions are like...well, you know. I personally like my bike with some bark to it. Just my preference. You set it up the way YOU like it. Unless you go radical your adjustments should be minimal. On my nomad I didn't do any adjustments to the bike after changing exhaust and it was fine. Either way best of luck.
gwstang likes this.

Life. Nobody gets out alive.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: purple
I'm not really looking for super loud. My youngest son has those on his Suzuki M109R and they sound awesome and not really that loud...well, except in a parking garage...lol
Preacher824 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode