Any tips on removing gas tank? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: purple
Any tips on removing gas tank?

There are always tricks and great tips that guys pass on when doing a specific project. Im going to remove the gas tank to get rid of some of the ridiculous wiring the last owner did. Melted bare wires coming off the battery etc. I'll fix it up right with proper connectors and fused. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have the down loaded service manual and it's straight forward but....someone always has a better way and that is what makes forums such a great way to share. That mess under there makes me very nervous. lol. I loaded the vn2000 up on the motorcycle trailer that I made a long time ago out of an old boat trailer (small aluminum type boat). I cut several feet off the tongue and welded the hitch back on and then welded some extra angle irons across for more floor strength. Then I added 3/4 pressure treated plywood for the floor and drilled down the sides thru the frame rail and added four tie downs on each side. Put a cheapo wheel chock on the front and wala. Painted it all black, new tires on trailer and added bearing buddies so it can be greased easily. Maybe 25 years ago and it is still hauling strong...lol Took it down to Tampa Bay (700+ miles each way) to see my youngest son that has a Suzuki M109R. Beautiful bike blue and silver. Had a great time riding around with him for the first time when we both had bikes. Did quite a few rides morning/evening. Cool to ride around the water close to the ocean, not hot really. The red head won't get on a motorcycle any more. We are 62 and she use to be a real motorcycle mama back in '77-'79 when I finished up my last two years in the navy at Pensacola. I got a new 1977 Honda 550F and it was the ticket. Rode that thing all over Florida. Been married 41 years and whatever she says goes for me...lol She lets me have my toys ('66 mustang I've restored. put a 5.0 HO in it EFI. added AC) and now the vn2K. I had one problem when we got back. One of those owwww, problems. It was close to dark after driving the 700 or so miles home and I decided to go ahead an unload the bike to put it up because it was coming up a storm and we've had some rather ferocious ones lately. I hooked up the ramps, atv type ramps three wide. They have these little wienie chains with some s hooks on the end. I wrap them around the tail light brackets (heavy metal) and use the s hooks to retain them. I started backing off an hit the front brake because it starting taking off backwards. I guess the front wheel grabbed the ramp and snatched it off....ow part. the whole shebang came loose and I was laying on the ground sideways with the mc on me. crash bars hold it off, but it is quite disconcerting to be in that position. I got up with my ego bruised and a sore knee and picked it back up...by myself. Now my back aches...lol It was harder because as I picked it up the wheels are still in the ramp slots. Anyway, thats the breaks. thanks for any tips on the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 09:23 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Vulcan classic
Displacement/CC's: 90 CI 1470 CC
Color: Currently Victory Red
Garage
1.set fuel petcock on off and run the bike until it dies
2.remove the seat
3.remove the warning light/speedo cluster
4.disconnect fuel line from petcock
5.remove 2 each tank mount bolts
6.lift up on the rear of the tank and disconnect the 2 vent lines
7.remove tank

AVIATION RULE #1 STAY AWAY FROM THE SHINY SPINNING THINGS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Wait, V2K does not have a petcock to turn off , has it?

There are several descriptions for the process, if you do a search you will find some that are very easy to follow. I was a little scare to do it the first time but after you do it once it gets very easy.

Most important is to have an empty tank (or close to empty), makes things a lot easier. The thing that gives me trouble are the left side electrical connectors, never know the exact way to apply pressure to get them off easily.

You DO NOT have to mess with the dash, the tank will come off with the thing attached to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chanoc

Last edited by chanoc1077; 07-06-2018 at 12:22 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Vulcan classic
Displacement/CC's: 90 CI 1470 CC
Color: Currently Victory Red
Garage
I stand corrected. I missed the part about it being s vn200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVIATION RULE #1 STAY AWAY FROM THE SHINY SPINNING THINGS
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
If I remember right;

1.- There's only one screw holding the tank down under the front seat, Take the seat off and you will have a clear view of the bolt head.
2.- Then you take off the left side engine cover (fuel pump), this is held by a single screw toward the front of the cover and then it just slides up a bit to come off.
3.- Disconnect the fuel line, you have to snap off the security connector (I think it's orange but it is a distinct color so you can't miss it), after you snap out the center part the connector can slide off along with the fuel line. Have a rag ready cus a small amount of fuel might drip from the line as you slide it off.
4.- Disconnect the 2 'lectrical plugs on the left side by the fuel pump (there could be 3 of them, it has been a while since I've done it), they are right there in plain sight, this will free connections to dash panel.
5.- The last piece is to disconnect are the 2 vent lines on the left rear of the tank, you can do this by hand or with small pliers. These 2 can also drip a little fuel so have your rag ready.
6.- Then you just lift on the rear edge of the tank and slide the whole thing toward the back, off it comes.

To re-install just reverse the process, make sure you have a soft place to put your tank once you remove it, as to not do any damage to the paint on the bottom side. If you level the bike it will make it easier on you to work on the left side, that's where you need to the work so set yourself up where you have good lighting on that side.

I had done a very brief description of the process first but remember my first time...
... taking off the tank, so I came back and tried harder to give better, more complete advice. Hope it helps.
gwstang likes this.

salu2

Chanoc

Last edited by chanoc1077; 07-06-2018 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Once you have the tank off it is wise to go over a few items, like checking your radiator water level or even changing your coolant if appropriate, once the tank off it is also easier to check your plugs, it is a lot harder to take the rear plug off with the tank in it's place.

Cleaning the top of the jugs is also a good idea at this time.

salu2

Chanoc
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, the info was very helpful. Tank is off without messing anything up...lol That is what I was worried about. seems there is always some deep dark corner underneath things like this that has a critical part/piece and can easily be screwed up.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add that I did change the radiator coolant and cleaned up all the wires the PO left from various objects he had installed. Said objects have mysteriously disappeared...lol
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Taking off the tank for the first time is kind of scary.

But once you do it.. it's like.. "That's it???"
gwstang likes this.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:54 AM
Top Contributor

smedlin's right. The first time I took it off it probably took a half a day if you count the time I took telling myself everything was gonna be ok. Now it's about a half hour job unless I forget to set up my little table to set the tank on (then I have to set the tank back on the bike, set up the table, and get back to business). The worst part to me is that no matter how hard I try, I still get a little gas dribble that I have to contend with. It also seems that I subconciously fill the tank right before I have to take it off...

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode