• 1 Post By SteelMonkey
  • 4 Post By DANAD
  • 1 Post By chanoc1077
  • 1 Post By OPG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

2006 vulcan2000

Hi everyone.
Looking at maybe buying a 2006 Vulcan 2000, is there anything I should be looking at before I commit.cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:08 PM

Year/Make/Model: '07 VN2000 Classic Lt.
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Candy Cardinal Red/Ebony
Garage
For fear of being called a smart ass..... look at the bike ? Lol.

Of course all the usual stuff applies.... mileage, price compared to other's listed in or near your area, add ons, overall condition and maintenance records if available. There is not anything in particular...'trouble spots'... that I know of that you should be looking at for that particular year or model. Chances are, if it's been maintained and the price is reasonable you can't go wrong.
Preacher824 likes this.

2007 Vn 2000 Classic LT
OEM engine guards
Kuryakyn highway pegs
Stage 2 debaffle (passes new noise by-laws locally)
Uniq cycle sound system
Kuryakyn accessory mount
Woven Leather drink holder
General evertrek Darkside rear
Avon Cobra taking the lead

DISCLAIMER: The previous post in no way necessarily represents the REAL thoughts, beliefs, or moral values of the poster in any way whether stated or implied.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM
Top Contributor

What he said... lol! By 2006, all the little gremlins had been worked out. I would look for oil in the air-cleaner, sure sign of being over-filled at service. Also, check the "drive" pulley for excessive wear and listen for excessive and/or non-dissipating lifter noise. Other than those little items, the V2K is like any other used bike (although bigger and better!) Once you have been enthralled by the throb of that powerplant, you will find it difficult to look at sub-2000cc bikes with out going "pfffft!".

2004 VN2000
V&H Pipes
BAK, Mustang Seats, Scootworks Tour Trunk
HD Softail lowers, Memphis shield
Darkside Falken Zeix 205/65/16 rear, Bridgestone Excedra Max front
2008 900C as barhopper

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Keep in mind (help me a lot when I got my Beast) that add on's and accessories DO NOT increase the value of a bike because they were put on by a previous owner to their liking and the type and quality of accessories might not be to your exact preference. It might be that you are lucky to find a good bike, well maintained and with the accessories you would put on eventually if you had the $$$, DO NOT LET THE SELLER KNOW THIS as it is to your advantage.

When I decided I was gonna upgrade to a V2K I started scanning the web to check different looks guys had done to their own beasts, I looked at a lot of bikes, would see details on some that I like but combined with some I did not so I Started a list of accessories I would eventually put on (keep in mind I had NOT found the bike I was gonna buy yet) and kept working it in my mind.

One of My bases of comparison or starting point was Smedlin's Bike, Super great looking but way, WAY to much chrome, also to mucho work put into it. I wanted that good a look but in simpler terms. During the almost daily scan for images I found one that resembled the right look for me, the right pipes, the right seat, good looking fairing, very well kept, I liked it so much I downloaded the 2 images of that bike and they were the only 2 images of V2K I down loaded for the purpose of having an image to shoot for.

As it happens, I mentioned on the forum to some friends I was on hte hunt 4 a V2K and was directed to a fellow member that was selling his 07 V2k cus he was trading for a Trike. First thing I saw was the guy lived about 2 and a half hours from my town (good) the data of the bike seemed very promising and then I looked at the photo:

IT WAS MY BIKE, "THE" BIKE, the one that I had downloaded the pix of.

I could not believe my eyes, I jumped on the idea right away but only had alowed myself 7500 for that bike (figure I could sell the one I had for around 6k) but that included about $1300 I had to spend on exportation to mexico. SO my actual budget was $6200, wich was good for the cost V2K go for around here. Turns out the guy was asking for $8900 'cus it had 3 mayor ($$$) components, a set of Freedom performance pipes (about $750), A set of Tsukayu hard bags ('nother $750) and a Corbin Fairing (about $1400-1500) and he was willing to take those off and sell them separate. Asking price without those $6900, closer to my budget.

So I went and took a look at the bike, talked to the guy (he felt the bike was 2 heavy for him anymore and was struggling with his balance, hence the trike), test rode it... and completely fell 4 it, at that time I took my VN1600 so the guy would let me test ride the V2K, and came back and thought about the bike and the $$$ for a whole week, decided I was gonna offer the guy the $6500 I could afford even if it meant letting go of the accessories BUT my job prevented me from going the next week for the bike, now all the following week I was worried someone else was gonna snatch it b4 me and was getting nervous about letting MY bike go, I made arrangements to leave that next Friday with someone to go with me so they could drive the car back and by Wednesday I get a call from the guy telling me if I want the whole thing he would let me have the bike as it was for $6900.

Rest is history, and still in process. I was able to take a long 4000 mile ride for 11 days (I think) on the 1600 as a goodbye ride and come back to do paper work for my dream bike.

Point is, consider the value of the base bike and ONLY the accessories if they are the ones you would choose yourself, in any case, SORRY FOR HIJACKING THE THREAD, you can tell I love telling the story.
Kwaka 2ltr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chanoc

Last edited by chanoc1077; 06-21-2018 at 10:59 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 PM
OPG

Year/Make/Model: 2006 vulcan 2000 classic
Displacement/CC's: 2053cc
Color: Silver
Garage
I got myself a 2006 V2k. I love this bike! Did you get yours?
arobsum likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 04:44 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan VN2000A
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: metallic blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPG View Post
I got myself a 2006 V2k. I love this bike! Did you get yours?
I just picked up a cherry 2005 vn2000. I really love it but still getting used to the size and power. Never had a bike this big before.

Life. Nobody gets out alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode