Oil leak...push rods? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Oil leak...push rods?

so a while back i kind of mentioned that i had some oil spray and wasnt sure where it was coming from. attached is a poor lit photo ( sorry still dark here.) of some of that oil spray. its coating the rear pipe, the side cover and my pant leg. there isnt a ton of oil. but enough to show up pretty well when you look at it in person. if you zoom or look close you can see the smears on the pipe and such. and the black streaks on the side cover.

im thinking this oil is coming from the lower side of the push rod there right behind the air filter. the thing is . it wont spray oil all the time. most of the time its only on highway speeds for a excessive amount of time. im just worried about what it could be. ive never dealt with a oil leak in this manner and dont have the 1st clue where to look or what the repair cost is going to look like. here in a few weeks we will be putting it on the lift and doing a lot of over due maintenance i have had to put off due to budget issue. but now that i have a bit of cash to invest im going to get the ol girl here the proper treatment she deserves.

so, other then the photo and telling you what i have. im not sure what else you might need to know. if you want me to check something let me know and i will as i have time and report back. **note** i did check the air filter and it appears to be dry. which has lead me to believe its coming from the push rod. the casing to it is slick with oil as well so from the wind of riding im guessing it is slinging the oil back. im kind of wondering how much work it would take to replace what ever it is thats leaking in that area. im assuming there's a seal there. any info would be helpful, trying to get the research out of the way ahead of time before we start wrenching. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil bike.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	212865  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
You could wrap each connecting/sealing point of the push rods with Aluminum foil and do a short test ride. At least then you'd know if that's where it's coming from.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glhadiator; 03-13-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: grammar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhadiator View Post
You could wrap each connecting/sealing point of the push rods with Aluminum foil and do a short test ride. At least then you'd know if that's where it's coming from.
thats a good idea , thanks. i might do that this week end and see what i turn up

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:04 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan 2000 classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Brick red, Black and Chrome
Ramcharger,
I am having the same issue from the front push rod lower gasket or seal. From what I can see it looks like the engine has to come apart to replace that seal. What did you end up doing? How much did it cost to have shop do it if you went that route? I love the bike but its 11 years old and these things happen. I am going to fix it and will most likely replace all the gaskets at the same time but think its more than I want to do myself. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
Thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
On some issues about engine failure that have come up, the discussion has turn into cost of repair against cost of replace, I know this might not be the case here, careful diagnosis has to be done.

Sad to say it but our beloved bikes are destined to become rare, accessories are scarse so we are left to improvise and adapt, but they are not rare yet.

The very reasons I love this bike, is that is a big bike, looks big, performs like a big bike, has the room for a big rider, has the right sense of style balancing the motorcycle heritage and contemporary design but it IS heavy, not on the road, not even in the twisties. But on the garage and on the parking lot it is a big heavy bike.

Sooooo, a lot of the brave ones that bought into the V2K beauty and brawn are getting older (or sometin and don't feel they are up to the task of taking the beast out for wind and asphalt. that means there are a lot of V2K's out there for sale at reasonable costs and in some cases it is better to buy a bike to use for spare parts.

I know this is e$$$$pensive, but an engine repair also is, it is just a matter of how much you love the beast, your beast.

I have contemplated what I would do if faced with the conundrum, I still don't know, the more mods I do to it the best it feels the harder to part with it, but at the same time I have my eyes out to find the next bike I will have, after I am done with the beast or the beast is done with me, hoping it doesn't happen any time soon.

What I meant by cost of replace was not replace the bike but rather replace the mayor component of the bike you love with a used part, maybe from another whole bike that would give you a lot of replacement parts for the bike you (and I) love.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2

Chanoc
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Man, another looong post, I only wanted to subscribe to the thread.
Very interested it what the problem ends up being, and what solution. Sorry that I have little to contribute.

salu2

Chanoc
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:58 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan 2000 classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Brick red, Black and Chrome
So far without taking it apart I have found that the push rod tubes have what look like 2 upper and 2 lower o-ring seals and then there is a lower seal at the bottom where it meets the transmission/ bottom of engine. I took it to a couple shops but all I could see in their eyes were dollar signs given the possible labor/ scary work for a normal non mechanically inclined person. The actual parts are cheap but I am pretty sure I have to remove the valve cover and the arm to get the push rods out which means also the fuel tank I think....
I was a mechanic in the Army (another lifetime ago) and I still to this day fix most of my own issues with all of vehicles. I am going to take this apart over the coming winter and will buy what I need once I can identify what is needed. At that time I will post my how to story. In the mean time a small rag to wipe down the leak residue after each ride is working out just fine. If anyone does this project between now and when I do it I would love to hear the story. I would also like to know what other seals and gaskets I should replace while into this project. I think I know.... and like I said I will buy what I need after I pull it apart. Any gasket that even has signs of stains I am going to replace. I might just replace all the gaskets and seals.....only has 5800 miles.
Enjoy the ride!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:40 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Vulcan Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: White
Is it coming out the bottom of the air box? I've had mine spray like that when oil level was too full and it spit out of the air box, and the other time when the dealer cleaned my K&N air filter and used too much oil (that was the last time ive had someone else service my bike)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:19 AM

+1 on the air box, same thing has happened to me, too much oil on the k+n.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode