sheepskin on the vn2000 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

sheepskin on the vn2000

so this is a simple question. do you guys use a sheep skin and if so how do you secure it to your bike? i got a cheep faux sheep skin to do a trial and error on before i spend any real money. i have a grommet tool to try and make some securing point in the skin but not too sure where i should look or what to use to keep it in place. id like something simple so i dont have to unbolt my seat every time i want to pull the thing off. just wanting to see what some ideas are.

Also i have a mustang seat with the removable back rest. ima need to make a slit for the bar to slid in and out. any ideas on how to do that with out it continuing to rip under stress? still a little new to working with some leathers and materials in the tailoring aspect. thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 01:35 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 VN900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Pearl White/Metallic Grey
Velcro straps are neat & strong. There's loads on the Bay to pick from. To stop the skin splitting either punch a round hole at either end of the slit, think thin keyhole. Or sew a bar tack at each end, it's the stich you'll see on your jeans back pockets.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info, what about mounting points for the skin? id rather not have to unbolt the seat every time i want to take the thing off, i was also thinking of using some para-cord for tie offs if i can find a good place to hook into.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 04:38 PM

I was thinking of these straps Alfatex® by Velcro® Brand strapping Cable Ties with buckle Band luggage Strap | eBay for the skin. Securely sew the buckle to the skin, one in each corner. Then use this VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Back To Back Double Sided Hook and Loop Strapping Black | eBay. Run two lengths of it under the seat. All you'd need to do to fit the sheepskin is place it on the seat feed the straps through the buckles 7 turn back on itself to fix it. When the skin's not in use just turn the straps back on themselves as before to keep them out of the way.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

thats a pretty good idea i think i might run with that. thanks buddy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
I bought one from these folks in Alaska. Worked very well. You may want to check them out. They aren't really that expensive for the time and effort you would have to put in to make your own.

https://alaskaleather.com/collection...pskin-buttpads

As far as your Mustang seat, you can't just cut a hole and put it in. The seat is made with the backrest hardware built in. If you don't have the slit already then you have the wrong seat for the backrest. You can go to Mustangs website and check it out.

"Can a driver backrest be added later to a seat?
No. The receptacle that houses the receiver mechanism for the driver backrest is built into the seat baseplate. It is carefully engineered for utmost strength for driver safety. This receiver cannot be added to an existing Mustang seat."

Seat Features
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

You misunderstood that part retro, i have the correct seat, i am going to be needing to put a slit in the skin so i can put the back rest through it when it lays over top the seat. thats why i asked for a way to stop it from wearing more during use which i was given some good ideas on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger View Post
thats a pretty good idea i think i might run with that. thanks buddy
Glad to help. Let us know how you get on
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger View Post
You misunderstood that part retro, i have the correct seat, i am going to be needing to put a slit in the skin so i can put the back rest through it when it lays over top the seat. thats why i asked for a way to stop it from wearing more during use which i was given some good ideas on.
I gotcha , its the sheepskin that needs the hole, sorry about that mate. Make your slit and then sew the ends with upholstery thread then sew both sides of the slit with the whip stitch. This will really add to the strength of the leather. I usually use a needle nose pliers to pull the needle through the material.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Mounted well. was pretty simple over all. i found a temp attachment system for now since i have a rally to go to Wednesday 2 states away and needed it done. the grommets went on easy. i went ahead and punched 2 holes and cut a slit between the 2 for the back rest to slide into. then at walmart in the bicycle section they have these bread tie type items that are about a foot or so long. ( a wire encased in rubber thats thin.) i have 2 behind the side covers that hold the front down and 2 that wrap around the saddle bag mounts to hold the read of it down. if i get time before the rally i throw a pic.

This was a trial run with a cheap faux skin i found to see how well i can fit it. that way when i spend real money on a good quality one ill have a good idea what i need to do. so far im happy with it. take a bit of the bite out of my mustang seat. for sure. only takes about 5 mins to get it on and center or back off again if i need to. and the ties are fairly secure but ill likely use something else because they are kind of obnoxious to hide when not in use lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode