6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Metallic Ocean Blue
Cali Kawi Exhaust

I apologize if I've been lazy and this has been answered previously, but...

My neighbor, who rides a Sportster 883, asked me recently if I ever actually rode my 2K, as he never hears me (we share a common garage wall). I assured him that I rode -- had pulled a brief-but-pleasant 150 ride the day before. Then, it dawned on him -- the reason he didn't hear me, he said, is because I don't ride a Harley. Mother of Pearl!!! Sumbitch!!! How dare he...

But wait, the pipes on the 2K are stock. And I do live in Cali, so that cuts down on the options -- legally -- I can have shipped to me. And my mechanic, who is a straight-up dude (that's why he's my mechanic) won't risk his state license installing anything illegal in Cali (and I damn sure can't do it...). Fair enough.

My question is, what are some good options for me to explore here in Cali for a pretty freakin' throaty exhaust my neighbor will hear but that won't get me busted? (Actually, I'm not that concerned with getting busted for noise...more the emissions thing, I s'pose...) Also, I would like to change pipes visually, aesthetically.

Thanks in advance for y'all's input. I know there's a knowledge level here that's second to none, and y'all's willingness to share has always impressed me.

Now, let's wake up my neighbor and eat his Sportster!

Victor --

Victor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No borders, just horizons...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:20 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
@vic : Let me be the first to respond,,,, and the first one to say there's no thing you should do based on a comment from a "hardley" owner, much less a sporster owner.

Pro'bly Smed will be able to chime in with his xperience cus he had stock pipes and has had 2 different brands installed, not many of us Beast riders have had the opportunity to experiment with more than 2 sets of pipes. BUT first you should have clear in yur head what is it that YOU really want: A certain LOOK - Performance enhacement - a particular Sound or Volume or any combination of those.

You are already ridding a pretty Bad Ass scoot so don't go changing it out of some brand loyalty comment from a misguided soul.

I can only attest to the Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Radius, cus is the only one I have experienced, excellent Looks, they go great with the lines of the bike especially if you are riding without saddlebags. Very Loud without baffles and and still loud with quiet baffles. deep throaty sound but not the most throaty I have heard.

For me the best pipes for the BEAST, but that's just about what you will hear from every body about their pipes.
dvictorh likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2

Chanoc
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Hey, I just notice you're not that far away from me. I have gone trough yur area several time in my bike, maybe we'll get a chance to ride together some time.

We got a plan for a 3 day ride 2dn week of October, coming down the 74 to Palm Desert and we plan to go up Mt San Jacinto on the 243 to Idyllwild on our way back

salu2

Chanoc

Last edited by chanoc1077; 09-06-2017 at 12:26 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanks, Chanoc1077! I'll certainly check my sked and with luck make plans to meet up with y'all on your Oct. ride -- yup...the places you mentioned are right in my backyard. Speaking of backyards, Freedom Exhaust, the Sharp Curve Radius folks, are also right down the road in Corona. I have had my eye on them from the beginning -- 'specially looking at Smedlin's bike! Just so's you know, I've been wanting to make some mods to Mo'Dean from the very beginning, and pipes just seemed to be one of the first things I started looking at. (Also looking at Tsukayu hard bags to replace the leathers Mo' came with...) Doofus's comment simply pissed me off; it was not what started me thinking about making a change!

Thanks for the input. And I'll PM you later about the ride.

Victor

Victor

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
I don't see much hope for something that's both louder and letter-of-the-law legal. California law is that to get a certification sticker the sound level cannot exceed 80 dBA, measured 45 degrees to the side, level with the exhaust, 20 inches away. I couldn't find the RPM spec for the test for your particular bike, but it looks like they generally run it up to around 3000 rpm.

What that all adds up to in something resembling English is if you stick your ear 20 inches from your exhaust, 45 degrees to the side, and run the revs up to 3000, it shouldn't be louder than a garbage disposal that's 3 feet away from your ear. (The chart doesn't specify whether a spoon has fallen into the garbage disposal or not ....)

A dBa comparison chart for your dining and dancing pleasure: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/projects/sixer/loud.pdf

But wait, there's more! That expensive hunk of chrome that can't be much louder than what you already have must also be certified to meet emissions standards. Not the bike -- the actual exhaust. Doing the bike would be easy -- stick the sniffer up the tailpipe and see whatcha got. But, of course, some people (nobody here, of course....) would just swap out the pipes for the stock exhaust, go get emissions tested, then swap the boomers right back on. That leaves it on the exhaust manufacturer to do a lot of expensive engineering and testing to prove their case to the EPA. And remember -- all that for little to no gain in sound. I'm thinking not many have jumped through those hoops.

eta: Not EPA. California Air Resources Board.

So, of course, there are no loud pipes on any motorcycles in California, and no one has ever thought of, say, putt putting up to Vegas or over to Phoenix to get pipes installed there.
dvictorh likes this.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare

Last edited by trainermb; 09-06-2017 at 07:49 AM. Reason: CARB, not EPA.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Trainermb...all you say is true, sir. And therein, of course, lies my "problem."

Hmmm...a quick trip to PHX?! I'd HATE having to ride that far!

Victor

Victor

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoc1077 View Post
@vic :

Pro'bly Smed will be able to chime in with his xperience cus he had stock pipes and has had 2 different brands installed, not many of us Beast riders have had the opportunity to experiment with more than 2 sets of pipes.

I can only attest to the Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Radius, cus is the only one I have experienced, excellent Looks, they go great with the lines of the bike especially if you are riding without saddlebags. Very Loud without baffles and and still loud with quiet baffles. deep throaty sound but not the most throaty I have heard.

For me the best pipes for the BEAST, but that's just about what you will hear from every body about their pipes.
I had cobra shorties on the V2K for.. hmm.. 7 years? Then in early 2012 switched to the freedoms.

On 'roll-on' (throttle), they sound the same.

The difference is idle. Even my hardley friends will say it's the best sounding "metric" bike hey have heard.

Also, like chanoc said, the way the Sharp Curve's just "fit" the profile of the bike is really nice.
Co0terV2K and dvictorh like this.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Follow up.

No metric bike will ever have the sound of a Harley cruiser at idle.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
Follow up.

Whew! That's a relief!

Victor

Victor

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvictorh View Post
Trainermb...all you say is true, sir. And therein, of course, lies my "problem."

Hmmm...a quick trip to PHX?! I'd HATE having to ride that far!

Victor
*Leans close to hidden microphone* But, of course, THAT WOULD BE WRONG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
Follow up.

This is easily explained by science.

Ours are running.

Theirs are in the shop.

Co0terV2K and dvictorh like this.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode