Bracket for bags? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Bracket for bags?

I'm looking at putting some HD bags on. Does anyone know if it's possible to make the HD bracket work with slight modifications or is there a simple way? Here's what I am looking at
Hard Saddlebags Saddle Bags W/ Conversion Brackets For HARLEY DAVIDSON Softail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 09:23 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Kawasaki VN2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Preacher824
Those are the same brackets I purchased and will be starting my install this winter. I can tell you that the mount holes, upper mounts to the bike, line up as I have pre-fit them to the bike but I am going to have to cut them loose and move them to allow the bracket to move back. My wife's legs hit the new bags so I need to move them back some. Still fabricating and measuring. Hopefully I will have some pics in a few months. The lower mount sits away from the bike and will need modifying.

Last edited by Preacher824; 02-17-2018 at 07:54 PM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 08:17 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Garage
Started the install yesterday and had to modify the brackets as expected. I cut the upper mounts loose and moved them forward on the bracket which will move the entire bracket back. This will allow my wife to place her feet on the floor boards and the back of her legs will not touch the lids. I then cut out 1.5 inches from the bracket, lower tube on the back side, to move the lower support bar of the bracket in towards the bike. The left bracket needed to be bent slightly, where it mounts to the front, and a piece added to the froward mounting point to allow me to drill a hole in it and mount it behind the passenger floor board upper bolt, note that spacer will need the thickness of metal added to mount removed from the spacer . The right side required a piece of metal added to forward mount as well but I also had to add a one inch piece of tubing, I used one of the pieces that I had already removed for the rear, to the lower arm to reach the passenger floor board mount. Reason being if you look at the VN2000 floor mounts you will notice longer mounts on the right side as the frame sits to the left. I assume it is to clear the belt drive but that is the reason I had to add tubing to the right. I also had to remove the bag mounting tabs and use the bag mounts, modified of course, and weld them in. I know, I know I should have been taking pics the entire time but I forgot. I was in the zone. LOL. I will try and post picks of the brackets mounted but before paint to give an idea of the fabricated areas. I am still working on a way to tie the left and right brackets together at the rear to prevent vibrations and movement but still allow me to remove each bag separately if desired.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Top Contributor

I had to drop the passenger boards and move them ahead to accomodate both the bags and my wife's unique riding requirements so I had a local machinist fabricate an angled bar that bolted to the original floorboard mount on each side. Fairly simple, just hardened flat bar 3" long with the appropriate holes and nuts on about a 25 deg angle.... There is a slight issue of clearance when I am pushing the bike back into a parking spot as it sometimes contacts my calf, but it does address the space issue for the bags and it gives the wife a different angle of attachment for her boots..
Preacher824 likes this.

2004 VN2000
V&H Pipes
BAK, Mustang Seats, Scootworks Tour Trunk
HD Softail lowers, Memphis shield
Darkside Falken Zeix 205/65/16 rear, Bridgestone Excedra Max front
2008 900C as barhopper
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Hello to everybody in the forum, been away for a while, riding, just not enough time to visit the forum that often.
Got in for a quick check of news, hope you northern guys are keeping busy wrenching while you wait for the weather to open up the roads 4 ya.
Now, I am sure I learned in this same forum that "if there a re no pics, it never happened", both approches to the same mod sound interesting and even I already have hardbags on, but it all provides learning opportunities for the rest of us.
I have been thinking of adjusting the passenger floorboard mounts to give my wife more leg positio options during longer trips, pics and tips from Danad's mod would be great toward that.
Preacher824 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chanoc
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:25 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANAD View Post
I had to drop the passenger boards and move them ahead to accomodate both the bags and my wife's unique riding requirements so I had a local machinist fabricate an angled bar that bolted to the original floorboard mount on each side. Fairly simple, just hardened flat bar 3" long with the appropriate holes and nuts on about a 25 deg angle.... There is a slight issue of clearance when I am pushing the bike back into a parking spot as it sometimes contacts my calf, but it does address the space issue for the bags and it gives the wife a different angle of attachment for her boots..
I thought about doing that but was worried about hitting my legs on the floor boards is why I went to the lengths I did. I agree it would have been a lot simpler. Same here I would like to see pics.

Last edited by Preacher824; 02-18-2018 at 08:29 PM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Garage
Now it is time for paint. LOL. Still working on modding the rear turn/tail lights. I will post a pic after they are installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180215_220149.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	210778  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Garage
Bracket pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180218_131243.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	210786   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180218_131257.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	210794  
chanoc1077 likes this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:12 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher824 View Post
Bracket pics.
Nice job on the brackets, I just started doing some basic welding and hoping to put it to use eventually on the bike mods. For now I just pull the trigger on a used trailer for my Beast, need to get working on the hitch (a buy and adjust route 'cus of the cost involved) and got to get the handlebar ready in the next 3 weeks for a couple of rides that are on the planning stages (Death Valley with Poncharello end of March and anniversary trip in April with my wife to Big Sur/Yosemite, hence the trailer).
Got a few mods on the list I have't gotten to and now the trailer thing is in the mix. It's just hard to get grounded while I work on any mods, rather be ridding.
Preacher824 likes this.

salu2

Chanoc
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:18 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoc1077 View Post
Nice job on the brackets, I just started doing some basic welding and hoping to put it to use eventually on the bike mods. For now I just pull the trigger on a used trailer for my Beast, need to get working on the hitch (a buy and adjust route 'cus of the cost involved) and got to get the handlebar ready in the next 3 weeks for a couple of rides that are on the planning stages (Death Valley with Poncharello end of March and anniversary trip in April with my wife to Big Sur/Yosemite, hence the trailer).
Got a few mods on the list I have't gotten to and now the trailer thing is in the mix. It's just hard to get grounded while I work on any mods, rather be ridding.
Thank you and I completely understand on the time thing. Keep me up to date and hope you and Ponch have a great ride. Pics on the progress as you get to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode