Starting Issues - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Purple
Starting Issues

Hi there, as a background heres what was wrong and what i have done at this stage.
I had a noise the same as Jtoads in his recent "Engine noise" post of a few weeks ago. Same high whining sound with no change from Revs or whether in or out of gear. Following his post i pulled the fuel pump to inspect and found it very clean with no buildup at all in tea bag filter, i ran the pump motor with a battery whilst out and fed a little wd40 through it at the same time, re-assembled and fitted all back onto the bike.
Bike started quite easily but would not idle so i nudged the throttle lock up a few revs and ran it for about 10 mins only as was heading out.
Yesterday i started the bike again just to see if all ok before putting all back together, the bike would start but not run for more than a few seconds, any application of throttle caused it to stall, did this many times and it ran rough for one period of 30secs before stalling, battery was near flat at this stage, so put the charger on and left. I tried again later with same result trying to start, also this may very well have been the wrong thing to do but i had the charger connected whilst starting the second time.

Today i tried turning the ignition on several times to see if the Fuel pump ran for the supposed 3 seconds, no response from the pump, i powered the pump with the lead disconnected and the pump operates, no voltage evident at the plug with the ignition on and Pump power plug connected again.
Then pulled the relay box and metered the relays and diodes and all ok, also the Start control relay which sits behind the ECU and it checks ok, checked relevant fuses.

The fuel line will leak a slight stream of fuel with the fuel line off, is it possible the bike is firing on this amount without the pump running.

So it looks like ive gone from a noisy pump(dont know why) to a pump not getting power, any ideas?
Cheers
Mick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

ok just put everything back together, battery with full charge, bike will fire momentarily but not run, ran a meter across the Fuel Pump power in lines and now have 12v for the 3 seconds as prescribed when ignition is turned on, next step will be to see if i can measure the fuel pump output for those 3 seconds.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Have you checked ebay for a used (parting out) fuel pump?

Wonder how much those are.. can't be much.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Just ran the pump into a measuring container and it pumped the required amount 70ml in the 3 seconds it runs with the ignition sw turned on, unfortunately i have no way to measure pump output pressure, i also removed the high pressure fuel line to check for any obstruction whilst i was there and seems all good. So have gone from a bike that was running albeit with a noisy fuel pump to on ethat wont start, cant think what else i may have stuffed in the process or whether the pump has given up as far as supplyying the correct pressure.
Smedlin i havent been able to find a second hand pump at a wreckers or eBay, its a very small market here in Australia, i can get a pump motor in from the US for about $100 that fits into the original Kawa unit(Jtoad fitted one of these though and found it as noisy as the one he was concerned about) so that may very well be my next step unless someone has a better idea or i can get the pump pressure tested.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Metallic Dark Purple Prism
Brissy, you can get one on eBay for less that AU $30: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...fLoc=2&_sop=15
Not sure about the quality of the cheapest ones, but it might be worth to buy one to compare with your existing just for troubleshooting.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:14 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
Fuel pump pressure gauges aren't much -- here in the US, about US $20 from Harbor Freight, our domestic "cheap tools 'n' stuff" store. Not the sort of quality you'd want to use for your professional racing bike, but, meh, close enough to say, "Nahhhh .....fuel pump's probably all right."

ETA: Have you, by any chance, checked the trouble codes?

Last edited by trainermb; 07-23-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Later thought ...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Hi Frank , thanks and yes have seen the cheaper ones, the reason i was going with the other more expensive one is they are supposedly german made as opposed to chinese, hopefully better quality.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Hi Trainer, i will jump on our car parts stores online and check a pressure gauge out, i havent run the codes as only read about them the other day and at that stage had the tank off and pump out again, i will have a read of the manual and see how its done, thanks Mick.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
As I am notoriously cheap ...erm..... thrifty, I'd read those codes first. I have a sneaking suspicion you'll learn more there than from the pressure gauge, and it's a lot easier test to run than cutting into a fuel line, hooking up the gauge, and all that. Involves less inhaling gasoline fumes, too. If you do get to that fuel pressure test, remember over-pressure is as bad as under-pressure.

Bummer we don't have a nifty OBD plug-in port like four-wheelers, but at least the info is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode