Front tire pressure question? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By FrankLumien
  • 1 Post By RetroBagger
  • 1 Post By bearslayer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Front tire pressure question?

Have Cobra Avon AV71 tires. 150/80/R16 Tire says 42. Manual says 36. Is the tire affected negatively buy going with the manual recommendation or tire. I also understand the 42 is a MAX cold PSI I believe. Just looking for some feed back. Wearing funny. Left of center bulging in spots. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 04:56 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Metallic Dark Purple Prism
You're right about max PSI. From http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/addl_tiretips.aspx:
Quote:
Always keep the motorcycle manufacturer's recommended air pressure in both tires. This is an important requirement for tire safety and mileage. Your motorcycle owner’s manual will tell you the recommended cold inflation pressure. On some motorcycles, the recommended front and rear tire pressures will be different. The pressures stamped on the sidewall of the tire are only for maximum loads. On some occasions, these pressures will also be the manufacturers recommended settings as well.

Riding on tires with too little air pressure is dangerous. The tires will build excessive heat. This can cause a sudden tire failure that could lead to serious personal injury or death.
Regarding the bulges, more info from the same page:
Quote:
After striking anything unusual in the roadway, ask your local dealer to demount the tire and inspect it for damage. A tire may not have visible signs of damage on the tire surface. Yet, the tire may suddenly fail without warning, a day, a week, or even months later.
Inspect your tires for cuts, cracks, splits or bruises in the tread and sidewall areas. Bumps or bulges may indicate a separation within the tire body. Have your tire inspected by a qualified tire service person. It may be necessary to have it removed from the wheel for a complete inspection.
If the tire is new, I recommend you take it back to the dealer and have it replaced.
budda109 likes this.

Last edited by FrankLumien; 07-19-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Fixed URL
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Is your tire " bulging" in spots or is the tire wearing unevenly in some spots making it look Hi in some areas and low in others ? I go with the tire manufacturer's recommendation. I have Avon Cobra's and run the front at 40 psi and the rear at 42 psi. Not my pick but that of the manufacturer.
budda109 likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:45 AM

Garage
I run 36 front and 38 rear. My call. I ride hard scrapping boards often. Bounces to much for me with tyres to hard.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:33 AM

I run 40 front and 42 rear with Bridgestone Exedra Max, seems to like it at those pressures, although I do have problems with the front wearing more on the right side, figure its from the camber of the road, Honda Crosstourer wears the right side front also.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Top Contributor

Generally speaking, the right pressure is what it takes for the load. Usually there is load vs. inflation pressure table the tire mfg. has.

As has been stated, inflating to max sidewall pressure may or may not be the right pressure. Too much air makes for rougher ride and more crown wear, although that's a bit harder to gauge on a MC tires than car tires since MC rides mostly on the crown anyway. Can make it more susceptible to road hazard/damage too.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Nomad , 1985 BMW K100 X2 , 1985 Intruder, 1998 Ducati Monster, 1972 CL350, 1948 Indian CZ125, 2
Displacement/CC's: 125 -1500
Color: Blue & Silver , Black , Gray , Maroon,black,
Garage
The tire manufacturer just gives a max pressure. That IS NOT the correct pressure to run on your specific motorcycle. The manufacturer does not know which motorcycle that the tire will be used on It could be a 400 lb sport bike or a 800 lb cruiser. ALWAYS follow the motorcycle's owners manual tire pressure guidelines. That said if I am running through the mountains I sometimes drop 2 ( and only 2) lbs so I stick a little better or add 2 lbs if I am running the interstate with a heavier than normal load. I got a great deal on my Nomad because the PO never checked his pressure and thought something was wrong with the bike , it wanted to flop into turns and the tires were wearing funny. Thats what 14 psi in the front tire will do for you.
budda109 likes this.

That which does not kill me tends to really piss me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode