Speedometer needle not moving - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Metallic Dark Purple Prism
Question Speedometer needle not moving

Hi there! I bought a 2004 V2K (bugeye) last week, and have something that worries me. On four separate occasions when starting the bike, the speedometer needle refused to move. Not during the initial self-check or when riding. The first time this happened, I turned the engine off and on a couple of times without results, tapping the speedometer gently in between.
After riding for a few minutes without it working, I went over a curb and the jolt made the needle move again. Since then, I have banged the speedometer a bit every time it is stuck. It works with enough force, but that's not how I want to treat my bike.

It's never goes from moving to getting stuck while riding, only when I start it up.

Before I open the speedometer up (if even possible?) to check for loose connections, have anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you solve it? Any advice on where to start?

I tried to search the forum for this issue but came up empty. Sorry if I missed something - I'm new on this forum

/Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
No experience with this problem yet, but it sure sound like a bad connection / loose or corroded connector. Faulty ground could be also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chanoc
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:59 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
You have a sort of intermittent problem.

As a tech I would first suspect the speedometer connector. Remove the housing and find the connector. Before disturbing anything inspect it very closely. Use a magnifying glass if you have one.

You will be looking at the wiring harness. Look for any chafing spots. Look for cracked or cut insulation on the wires.

Next inspect the plug. Is it snapped together properly? Now disconnect the plug. Look for pushed pins (one or more pins seem to be shorter than others). Look for bent or misshapen pins. Now look at all the pins closely. Do they look corroded, discolored or dark?

The proper way to clean the pins is to remove them. This requires special tools. If you don't have the tools and knowledge do not attempt to remove them.

Use a small medium stiff brush and clean the pins in the connector with alcohol. Don't use any other cleaners as you could damage the plugs. Let them dry thoroughly before reconnecting.

Hope this helps.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

glhadiator, thank you very much for your detailed description!

I managed to find the service manual, where it states on page 546 that the fuel tank must be removed in order to remove the meter unit. Removing the fuel tank is according to the same manual a 17-step process that involves draining the tank using a pump. Is this really necessary just to get remove the meter unit, or am I misinterpreting the guide?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedometer_removal.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	194370  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:48 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to remove the fuel cap (open it and you see the two Phillips srews).
Then remove the one allen screw and slide the speedo forward.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLumien View Post

I managed to find the service manual, where it states on page 546 that the fuel tank must be removed in order to remove the meter unit. Removing the fuel tank is according to the same manual a 17-step process that involves draining the tank using a pump. Is this really necessary just to get remove the meter unit, or am I misinterpreting the guide?
That's only if you want to take it all the way off. Remove the chrome cover (one allen screw and work it forward,as stated) and it's pretty easy from there. Do what glhadiator said. Also, you might remove the cover on the left side of the engine and reseat the connectors there. I don't remember which one goes to the speedometer.

If you ever do need to remove the tank, it's not as hard as they make it sound. Just do it when the tank is close to empty, cuz 5 gallons of gas can make it unwieldy.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.

Last edited by Bill Braske; 06-12-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:40 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLumien View Post

Gldtr: be careful believn' every process the manual describes, they would have you takin' off the tank for chekin' yur tire pressure. It almost seems they want to add hours to all maintenance bill, or justify it. Most of the wrenching tends to be somewhat simpler, just tap into the collective wisdom of the forum, just don't believe EVERY thing they say either cus they talk in riddles.

salu2

Chanoc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

That's a relief, not having to remove the tank! Thank you for the clarification, will try to get a look at this tonight.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

Ok, that seems to have done it. I first turned on the ignition and could verify that the speedometer needle did NOT move during the startup procedure. I then took the meter housing apart - without removing the tank. But it was VERY tight in there and it was a bit tricky to get to it. The cables all seemed to be correctly seated, but I pushed them gently in one by one. The multiconnector attaching the cables to the PCB did not look like it was removable so I held off on using force. The zip tie holding the cable bundle in place using the metal ring did seem too tight, pulling the cables away from the meter. I replaced it with a new one, leaving a bit more slack.

After reinstalling everything and turning on the ignition again, the needle did move. I took the bike for a very short spin, and the meter seemed to be functioning, even after turning the ignition on and off a couple of times. This morning I tried again, and it was still functioning. So for so good.

In case anyone else have this problem in the future, here is how I did it:

1. Make sure the ignition is turned off.
2. Put the bike on the side stand with the wheel pointed straight forward.
3. Remove the single bolt at the bottom of the meter housing.
4. Push the entire meter housing towards the rear of the tank. There are two pegs on the tank holding two holes with grommets in the meter. Be careful not to scratch the tank, keep a towel nearby to put between the tank and the meter housing.
5. Move the meter housing to the left of the tank - turn the handlebar pointing to the right if needed.
6. On the inside of the housing there are two bolts about midway up, holding the meter assembly and the black bracket to the housing. These need to be removed, use a small spanner if you have one.
7. After the bolts have been removed, you should be able to remove the housing from the inner assembly.
8. Remove the black bracket from the assembly. It is held in place with pegs and grommets.
9. Carefully turn the meter assembly around to reveal the cable bundle.
10. The cable bundle is held in place by a metal ring. Remove the two screws holding the metal ring in place. Note that this metal ring is also held in place by a zip tie fastened to the cable bundle. Removed it and replaced it later.
11. Lift the rubber boot and inspect the connectors with a flashlight. Look carefully on every pin, barely visible above the plastic connector. They should all be the same height. Inspect both sides of the connector.
12. Gently push each wire down if possible, then the entire connector.
13. Place the meter assembly so that you can see the meter, then turn on the ignition. Make sure the needle is moving during the self-check phases. Also verify that turn indicator, full beam and any other lights on the meter is still functioning.
14. Turn off the ignition.
15. Put the rubber boot and metal ring back in place. Attach a new zip tie around the cable bundle and through the metal ring attachment.
16. Put on the metal bracket, then attach the meter assembly to the meter housing again.
17. Point the handlebar straight ahead and put the meter housing back on the tank. Make sure that the bracket grommets are both attached to the tank pegs.
18. Reattach the single bottom bolt.
19. Turn on the ignition, check everything as in step 13.
20. Take a test ride and verify that the speedometer is functioning correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	offtank.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	194530   Click image for larger version

Name:	boot.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	194538   Click image for larger version

Name:	pins1.jpg
Views:	74