frame mount vs batwing fairing? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

frame mount vs batwing fairing?

So I'm finally to a point of wanting a fairing. The main problem is in Wyoming we get wind from every direction and it's not just a light breeze. The cross winds can be a real pain. My Question is what's everyone's experience with batwing fairings compared to frame mounted (obviously not on v2k's)? Jim Renda on the facebook group is fabbing a vaquero fairing to fit his v2k and I'm considering it if it'll cut cross winds and buffeting better than a batwing. Advice? I'm not afraid of fitting the frame mounted, it'll just take some more time and effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Years ago, I rode a KZ900 with a frame mount. Recently, I rode Belle with a batwing. Hands down, frame mount. Cross-winds didn't seem to affect the frame mount (long time ago, so may not remember fully) as bad. The batwing was nice, but the frame-mount has more "real estate" for storage and stuff.

I had my Quadzilla custom painted to match Belle, and added power and such. Thinking I may sell it and find a frame mount to try...

Burt
2008 V2K
1976 KZ900A4 (restoration project)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 2000
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Metallic Ocean Blue
Hokey smokes! I hadn't even thought about wind when I considered a batwing! We get wind here in the desert quite a bit. In fact, it's so strong at my house, I refer to my neighborhood as "Windlandia." (You can see windmill farms from my front steps, if that tells you anything!) I'm now thinking a frame mount -- if I can figure it out -- would be better here than a batwing. More advice/observations, fellas?

Victor

Victor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No borders, just horizons...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:06 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Frame mount is the way to go,also have the batwing on forks,throws ya around w a strong wind,frame mount not so much
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:36 AM

Year/Make/Model: Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: red
Garage
I put a frame mount on my 1500, look through the pics in the below thread and you will see how I handled it. I really like it so far but only put about 1,000 miles on it so far.

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/7...g-noglide.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

Very very nice job! I will be studying those pics and picking your brain later this year when I get to Fairingland! Pretty much know I don't have the mod skills to do it all myself, but part of knowing that about oneself is knowing the right folks to call! And I think I do...

Victor

Victor

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:50 PM

Location: Crescent City Fl formerly Key West Fl -Formerly Detroit - Formerly Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Dark Burgundy metal flake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvictorh View Post
Hokey smokes! I hadn't even thought about wind when I considered a batwing! We get wind here in the desert quite a bit. In fact, it's so strong at my house, I refer to my neighborhood as "Windlandia." (You can see windmill farms from my front steps, if that tells you anything!) I'm now thinking a frame mount -- if I can figure it out -- would be better here than a batwing. More advice/observations, fellas?

Victor
Besides a frame mounted fairing you need this too
ALEKO WG450A 450 Watt 24 Volt Residential Wind Turbine Generator | eBay
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

reggae5...with that I could save enough on elec to purchase the fairing!

Victor

Victor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode