Forward Controls Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN2000A
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Purple... Soon to be Black... Maybe...
Garage
Forward Controls Question

Hey Guys/Gals

Being new in the cruiser scene and just coming out of the rocket world, I am constantly scraping my floor boards in corners. The bike wants to lean, but the boards keep it from doing so. I constantly fear that the boards are going to catch a groove in the pavement, or a bump in the road and send me sailing through the air like a meat missile.

I have seen threads around referencing Jardine Forward Controls, but I can't seem to locate them for sale anywhere. I assume they are long out of production. Plus, even in older threads I've seen some say they were over $1k

So, my question... Has anyone attempted to retro fit any other model forwards to their 2000?

BTW - the bike is an 04 VN2000A
Preacher824 likes this.

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly... but that little f*ker is pretty damn quick!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Kawasaki VN2000
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Preacher824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu$aboy79 View Post
Hey Guys/Gals

Being new in the cruiser scene and just coming out of the rocket world, I am constantly scraping my floor boards in corners. The bike wants to lean, but the boards keep it from doing so. I constantly fear that the boards are going to catch a groove in the pavement, or a bump in the road and send me sailing through the air like a meat missile.

I have seen threads around referencing Jardine Forward Controls, but I can't seem to locate them for sale anywhere. I assume they are long out of production. Plus, even in older threads I've seen some say they were over $1k

So, my question... Has anyone attempted to retro fit any other model forwards to their 2000?

BTW - the bike is an 04 VN2000A
I love mine !!!!!!! Yea it is sad there is not much out there about them. I purchased mine from a member here and have not looked back. Im 6'1 so they fit me well. I have spoken to others who felt they were placed to far forward for their liking. I will tell you this much the actual controls look similar if not the same. It appears to be the actual "mounting bracket" that is different from bike to bike IMO !! I have another set that I was told came from a 1500 so I will look and see what difference there may be.

Last edited by Preacher824; 02-17-2017 at 11:23 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 06:14 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
One more option to consider.

On my previous bike (vulcan 1600) I did modify the floorboards for the same reason, all I did was weld additional mounting point under the floorboards (in the mounting bracket actually) as to push them forward about 2" and higher in the rear end about 3/4" and Higher at the front end about 1.5", it also put the front end outward about 1". This resulted on a larger clearance from the road and a very comfortable angle for long rides (both vertical and horizontal angle), eliminated any thoughts of forward controls. It also added a bit of leg room to stretch but not so much that it would make it awkward to stand on the boards if I needed to.

Another advantage I was aiming for was getting the boards a bit away from the shifter and the rear brake pedal (thus the outward adjustment), my big feet were getting under the brake pedal and the motion to apply the brake was not really natural, after the mod, from board to brake was a really easy and natural side motion, same with the shifter.

It ended up being so comfy that I plan to do the same to the V2K, as soon as work lets up.

Also, the weight of the beast is enough to consider that having yur feet way in front of you in forward controls might create a hazzard.

When I do the mod I will post pics and comments on results.
Preacher824 and dvictorh like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chanoc

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:16 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoc1077 View Post
One more option to consider.

On my previous bike (vulcan 1600) I did modify the floorboards for the same reason, all I did was weld additional mounting point under the floorboards (in the mounting bracket actually) as to push them forward about 2" and higher in the rear end about 3/4" and Higher at the front end about 1.5", it also put the front end outward about 1". This resulted on a larger clearance from the road and a very comfortable angle for long rides (both vertical and horizontal angle), eliminated any thoughts of forward controls. It also added a bit of leg room to stretch but not so much that it would make it awkward to stand on the boards if I needed to.

Another advantage I was aiming for was getting the boards a bit away from the shifter and the rear brake pedal (thus the outward adjustment), my big feet were getting under the brake pedal and the motion to apply the brake was not really natural, after the mod, from board to brake was a really easy and natural side motion, same with the shifter.

It ended up being so comfy that I plan to do the same to the V2K, as soon as work lets up.

Also, the weight of the beast is enough to consider that having yur feet way in front of you in forward controls might create a hazzard.

When I do the mod I will post pics and comments on results.
I would like to see the pics when you are done. I might would have done the same if I would have thought of it. Keep me up to date on the progress.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher824 View Post
I would like to see the pics when you are done. I might would have done the same if I would have thought of it. Keep me up to date on the progress.

Hi man, i am new to the forum, just read the thread, and happy to tell you the forward controls are awesome in looks and drive, but keep note that in long rides its uncomfy and you will miss good old boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Preacher824 and dvictorh like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 PM
BOTM Winner
November 2016

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akram View Post
Hi man, i am new to the forum, just read the thread, and happy to tell you the forward controls are awesome in looks and drive, but keep note that in long rides its uncomfy and you will miss good old boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I agree. Thats why I installed the mini floor boards. I usually lay my feet on top of the pegs but after a long ride I have to bend them every now and then. LOL Thats where the mini boards come in !!! Great looking bike !!!
TxRonHarris and Akram like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 11:34 AM

Anyone found a solution to fitting forward controls. I would prefer them I think
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Also, the bike in the pic is stunning. Where can you get that front and rear fender?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 03:32 AM

Can other model controls fit the v2k?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 PM

No one knows anything about forward controls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode