In Awe of the new to me Beast - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

In Awe of the new to me Beast

Just in the last couple of years I have gotten into riding motorcycles. 2 years ago I started with a couple of mid 70’s Honda XL 250’s. Last fall I bought an 85 Vulcan 750 for almost nothing and taught myself how to ride on the streets. Last spring, I saw a 05 VN2000 for sale and was, “just going to look”. I was a bit intimidated by the beast and didn’t plan on buying it but no one else was interested, the guy needed to sell and after a month of him lowering & lowering the price it got to a point I couldn’t pass it up.

When I realized the beast was different… First ride I turned onto a 2 lane Highway, I had a good gap but figured I needed to get to speed… I was use to riding my tired 30yr old 750 with which I need to keep the rpm’s up or it will stall. First gear was fine but going into second, I had the rpm’s up, thought the clutch was out completely and ended up popping the second half of the release. What went through my mind “So this is what Supermanning feels like” and “thank God I am Ef-ing hanging on tight”.

I know I am just beginning to find out what it can do and I really do not have much of a perspective to compare to other bikes but I do know I am spoiled. I am in complete awe every time I go into a turn at 50mph and with a quarter turn of the throttle half way through am coming out at 80mph or when passing a vehicle almost instantly going from 70mph to 90mph with that same quarter turn of the throttle.

When I bought it:
3200 miles, custom paint with all badging removed, Highway bars, show chrome radiator cover, Vance & Hines pipes, upgraded grips, green LED lights, LED bulbs in the headlight and I don’t really know what else.

What I have done:
Dropped license plate, mounted a used pair of Road King leather covered saddlebags with EZ-Brackets and have just bought the Mustang seat from Norwegian off this board. I haven’t received it yet but tracking says it will arrive Monday. Very smooth transaction so far.

I have read through almost all of the threads from the first 6 pages in the VN2000 section. I am learning a lot and will continue to read threads as time permits.

What I am interested in doing:
Resistor Mod, Big Barron Air Intake with a processor, 8”-12” Apes (I would like to have largest rise using factory cables), Highway pegs, will go darkside when needed.

I have read some things that are done for winterization/maintenance. If anyone has time I would appreciate a list of suggestions and or links to threads with instructions (please assume I am an idiot).
Oil Change (will use Rotella T6)
Checking & Adjusting drive belt tension
How to tell if rear bearing has been upgraded while on bike
How to grease or replace other bearings and which ones should you do this to
What pulleys should I be checking and how
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beast copy.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	178530   Click image for larger version

Name:	RK Saddlebags copy 3.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	178538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nye copy.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	178546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights copy.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	178554  
rocnrol, V2K_Rod, magss and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:31 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Welcome to the group!

Hmm.. I think I have 10 inch apes on mine (mini-apes). I already had replace the lines..it was really close, but still had to replace them.

Really nice looking bike.

Resistor mod - very easy to do, and most bang for the buck.

Where ya from btw?

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I live just south of and work in Billings, Montana.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 04:34 PM

Garage
Welcome

Gidday Mate

I know how you feel. I have had my big lady for over 3 yrs and I'm still in awe of her. They really are a great bike.

Good luck with her.

Enjoy Your Ride ( I do )
Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151009_154844.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	178594  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
yea, it does spoil ya.

I've had mine for what.. 12 years now?

Every time I test ride a spiffy new bike with all the spiffy new things.. I'm like...but.. but.. where is the power?

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:13 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan VN2000
Displacement/CC's: (125.3 cu in.)
Color: BLK

Got to agree with the power!
Toddster and smedlin like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:40 PM

Year/Make/Model: Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: red
Garage
Great looking bike, congrats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 10:47 PM
BOTM Winner
April 2016

Man!! Those Road King bags look so good! Those were my second choice if I didn't find a set of hard bags. I used a set of factory Dyna wide glide bars, they're a 12" and fit with the stock cables

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

sometimes you're the windshield.... sometimes you're the bug!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I just received the Mustang seat package from Norwegian. The seats look brand new, he communicated at every step of the transaction and shipped right after he received payment.
Smooth transaction – I would recommend dealing with Norwegian

rocnrol - I was pleasantly surprised at how the RK bags looked once mounted. Using EZ-Brackets and because the RK bags are molded for a RK, I didn’t have a lot of choice as where to mount. I would have moved them down & back and inch but am happy with them

I like your Dyna wide glide bars and that is good info. I will be on the lookout for some
rocnrol likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 02:20 PM

Welcome!

Yes the V2K is a cool bike, very "powery" for a cruiser. Don't get too carried away with the power tales in the wrong group tho, because, well... don't quite know how to break this to you, but, as a motorcycle...I mean motorcycles in general... well, look. Hmmm. How to put this... Oh, never mind. Enjoy the hell out of your V2K. It's an awesome ride!

Rotella T6 is a great idea.

You might want to pull your front pulley and grease the splines with the right molybdenum disulfide stuff. That can be a problem on some bikes.

Pulley tension, I've had zero problems with the factory specs, although opinions on that differ.

Now this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't get carried away with revving this engine. Bouncing off the limiter on a regular basis is not conducive to long engine life in anything, and especially not in a long-stroke V-twin.

Have fun and be safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode