Purchasing V2K what to look for and differences - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By DANAD
  • 1 Post By River

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Purchasing V2K what to look for and differences

Thinking of purchasing a v2k. Can you tell me if there are any major differences in the year models and what to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:36 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
I was there a year and a half ago, from the answers I got I definitely was shooting for a 2007 or newer, seems any kinks had been fixed by then, not that there were many of them. By that year there were 3 model to choose from, the regular VN2000, the classic and the classic LT (or as Ponch called it, the lettuce and tomato model). The regular model has the big "Bug Eye" head light and the "nacelle" chrome headlight wraparound that gives it that heavy front look. It also has a slender passenger seat (it is said very uncomfortable) that gives it a slender sporty look in the back, kinda like a Vulcan Mean Streak on steroids. This is the model I ended up getting ad it had to do with the headlight that I like a lot and the heavy front look it comes with.
The classic has a smaller, more typical round headlight with no nacelle, a wider rear seat and (I believe) comes with a windshield.
The classic Lt takes things further with more accessories, rear passenger backrest, passenger floorboards, leather like saddle bags, etc.
Not really sure where the classic ends and the LT begins cus' I just had to have that bug-eyed model.
Never found a 2009 with the big headlight and I'm almost sure they did not make it in 2010 (the last year for the Beast).
This is NOT a thorough description by a long shot, just trowing what little I know out there to get things started, hope it helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salu2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chanoc
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Top Contributor

Unhappy Kinks

My 2009 had the pulley splines strip ! That's a kink.

JJ

'97 Valkyrie Tourer '06 Stratoliner Midnight '09 V2KLT

NOT a member of an organized religion

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Top Contributor

The older models, like my 04 had a weak bearing in the rear drive vibration damper. I think that the hub was changed to accept the dual bearings 06 and up models. I changed out my drive hub and have not had a problem since. I have the big nacelle which makes finding windshields and other accessories a pain. Plus, if you catch a rock, the bug-eye lens is expensive to replace. However, the gut wrenching torque is worth any of the issues.
smedlin and dvictorh like this.

2004 VN2000
V&H Pipes
BAK, Mustang Seats, Scootworks Tour Trunk
HD Softail lowers, Memphis shield
Darkside Falken Zeix 205/65/16 rear, Bridgestone Excedra Max front
2008 900C as barhopper
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 02:24 PM

Pulley splines stripping is a problem. Mine stripped at 15k and again at 30k. Yes, greased with the proper moly lube. This happens often enough that you can consider it a known problem, and it's major. Luck seems to be the cause - many bikes never strip the pulley shaft splines.

Water leaks at the little hoses are common, but very easily fixed. It's not the head gasket.

HLA wear is common if the bike has been run with thick oil designed for air cooled Harleys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:00 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 V2K
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconiers View Post
Thinking of purchasing a v2k. Can you tell me if there are any major differences in the year models and what to look for?
Look for V2K, buy it, smile
dvictorh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode