Tachometer advice - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki vn2000 classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Blue and gray
Tachometer advice

Hello all,
I have been attempting to install a working tachometer on my 09 V2K classic lt.
First one I used was a bikers choice? i think New Chrome Mini Tach Tachometer for Harley with Clamp | eBay

Installed it with it working ok. Tachometer power and light power connected together, used a t tap or scotch lock to connect to parking light power (keyed power) in the headlight bucket. Ground wire on a bolt inside the headlight bucket and tach signal to the negative front coil. Reading half rpm's as expected with a single fire ignition.

Purchased a baron tach adapter to solve the problem. Once again using scotch lock connectors, wired the adapter to the negative of the front and rear coil (per the instructions) and tach wouldn't move. Stayed at zero. Attach tach signal without adapter to front or rear coil, half rpm's. Maybe a defective adapter...oh well.

Purchased a dynatec t-101 adapter. same story as the baron adapter. Maybe the tach will only work on dual fire ignitions properly. Tach was smooth and stable just reading half.

Found this deal on ebay 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500 En 500 Baron Tachometer | eBay
Hell yea! awesome deal. Should fix everything. Wired the same way. Turned on the ignition and tach did not sweep. Interesting. Fired up and the needle was bouncing drastically between 0 and 2000 rpm at idle. Little throttle and smoothed out at higher rpm, still not stable. I'm using the baron adapter.

Now i get it was a used tach and it may have been malfunctioning before. So the question is has anyone found a fix for the bouncy needle? They sell a baron internal replacement should i throw some more money at that? see if that works? or scrap this tach project and move on. Ideas comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
The first tach you posted is for a dual fire ignition only.

You posted -
"Reading half rpm's as expected with a single fire ignition. "

Does this mean you have a single fire igntion??
If so you need a tach that can handle that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcandoc View Post
The first tach you posted is for a dual fire ignition only.

You posted -
"Reading half rpm's as expected with a single fire ignition. "

Does this mean you have a single fire igntion??
If so you need a tach that can handle that.
Yes i have a single fire ignition. Which is why i got the tach adapter's which in theory, are supposed to combine the signals from both coils and turn them into a readable signal for the tachometer. I get the first tach i purchased was dual fire only and was hoping an adapter would make it work. I was wrong. Hence the second tach and the second set of issues. Thanks for your reply

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
For awhile I ran with one of the Barons Tach's. I had it mounted on the Master Cylinder. You can see it in the picture below..

And yes, to get it to work, I had to use the Barons Adapter thingy. Worked fine.. but.. it was Barons Tach and Baron Adapter. Maybe they work together but not with a different Tach? Don't know.

Eventually I removed that Tach and went Power Commander LCD unit. It works in conjunction with the PC (can store/change/load multiple maps) and also shows the RPM.

You can see the unit in the below picture...

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

smedlin that is a gorgeous color on your bike! Thanks for the reply. I think I'll buy another Baron internal tach and try it with the baron adapter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:01 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2004 VN2000A
Displacement/CC's: 2053
Color: Purple... Soon to be Black... Maybe...
Garage
I am new to the bike, just got it earlier in the month and really dislike the fact that I do not have a tach. Speedo is great, but... ya know...

Anyway, I have a Drag Specialties Mini tach that has been sitting on my shelf for about 6 months that I planned on using on a different project but decided against it. I was going to see about installing it on my 2000. Thoughts? Will it work?

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly... but that little f*ker is pretty damn quick!!"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:47 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
This is from an earlier post about installing a tach on a 2000. They all agree that an adapter has be used. This one post may be of some help. About the direction the wires need to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Earlier Thread.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	179946  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBagger View Post
This is from an earlier post about installing a tach on a 2000. They all agree that an adapter has be used. This one post may be of some help. About the direction the wires need to go.
Thanks for the input... I believe those adapters are just sections of wire that branch to each coil with a few diodes... anyone have a schematic of the inner-workings? I'd be willing to build a few and give them out for a lot cheaper than anything online (they're only $20... but I would think it would be less than $5 in parts and 10 min of labor to make.)

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly... but that little f*ker is pretty damn quick!!"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu$aboy79 View Post
Thanks for the input... I believe those adapters are just sections of wire that branch to each coil with a few diodes... anyone have a schematic of the inner-workings? I'd be willing to build a few and give them out for a lot cheaper than anything online (they're only $20... but I would think it would be less than $5 in parts and 10 min of labor to make.)
Maybe this will help. Look at Post #30: https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/4...-wiring-3.html

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Cruiser View Post
Maybe this will help. Look at Post #30: https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/4...-wiring-3.html
BINGO!!

Thanks Bud

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode