brake question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

brake question

So last week end me and my mechanic had to rebuild my front brakes for the most part. the calipers were pretty grimy and not closing correctly so we broke em down all the way pulled all the rubber and soaked em in some parts cleaner and scrubbed em up. they came out like brand new and i went ahead and replaced the pads which was the original goal. took us almost 45 mins to bleed the lines all the way since i have 20 inch apes on it with some pretty long lines.

now that its done and i have a nice firm brake level. i noticed that every time i get on the front brake it sounds like a cricket. like when they chirp really fast. its a pretty low sound and not like a tapping or anything it just sounds like a cricket. best way i can describe it. also it seems like i dont have as much stopping power. im not sure if its the new pads are of a cheaper make they were bike masters , or what. i have a nice firm brake pull and i stop ok. i dunno it could jsut be that i was use to riding with the soft bad brakes for so long it will take me a while to get use to em. but you guys have any idea why they sound like a cricket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Top Contributor

Parts cleaner???

You will now ,have to REPLACE every rubber part that the parts cleaner touched and wash all other parts with hot soapy water and dry.

Any kind of petroleum based product that comes into direct or indirect contact with rubber brake components renders them useless.

To ignore the second sentence puts your life and the life of others at risk!!!
Engineerk9 likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

im aware of this. if you would check and read the post i stated we pulled all the rubber and scrubbed down the parts. we completely broke down the caliper to do a full clean up on them. and after they were washed and cleaned we reassembled them.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger View Post
the calipers were pretty grimy and not closing correctly so we broke em down all the way pulled all the rubber and soaked em in some parts cleaner and scrubbed em up.

?
This is what I read.

It you did not follow up with a soapy water rinse to remove any cleaner residue, my comments still apply. These parts, including the rubber bits, should not even be touched by your fingers because skin oils can have a detrimental effect on them.

Also, it is poor practice to break down a hydraulic system without replacing all rubber parts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post

Also, it is poor practice to break down a hydraulic system without replacing all rubber parts.
This

As long as your tearing em down, why not replace everything?

(btw, if you try to find pistons and stuff for the V2K, but can't, it's the same exact brake as on the M109, so you can use parts from them)

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:06 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013/Kawasaki/Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Titanium and Black
Garage
I have a 2013 Nomad and my front brakes make the same noise. It started after the dealership replaced the front pads, no work was done on the calipers.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabay View Post
I have a 2013 Nomad and my front brakes make the same noise. It started after the dealership replaced the front pads, no work was done on the calipers.
you ever find a cure? did it go away? i mean i still have plenty of stopping power . im just wondering if i replaced the pads with a cheaper set then what was on there.

and smedlin and sfair. its a fair point you make. the issue comes with we didnt have the parts and didnt count on the calipers malfunctioning so we worked with what we had. the rubber all looked to be in good shape. at least good enough to put back together. as well at this being my only running vehicle. and during the disassembly gloves were worn the whole time so we never touched the rubber. and gloves were changed between handling parts. after the clean up the calipers and stuff work great. it just makes that odd sound now when the brakes are engaged. i know its frowned on to do what some people consider half ass work but we work with what we have available at the time. its kind of how we survive. we normally dont have the money to work on the bikes so we try to salvage and work with as much as we can to cut the cost. i know in some places you should never skimp. this is likely one of those areas honestly. but after testing and running it i think we got it right. i appreciate the concern and feed back. these are valid points.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:27 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013/Kawasaki/Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Titanium and Black
Garage
No solution, it is still there. I asked at the dealership, they said it was the air going through the vented discs and that it wasn't a problem. They had no explanation as to why it only started after the original brake pads were replaced. I am used to the sound now so don't really notice anymore. Brakes work fine, no problems with quick stopping.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 V2KLT
If you're looking for complete calipers, the ones on the SV1000S are also the same, they are however painted black from the factory.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the feed back guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode