Nada, nothing. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Nada, nothing.

Well, this time last month I went on a 1200 mile ride through 5 states flawlessly. Today I go to take my daughter to play practice (she was ecstatic by the way to show up on two wheels) and nothing. Turn the switch and not so much as a click. Not the way I wanted to spend my Saturday morning. Was hoping it was loose battery connections, nope. Hoped it was a fuse, nope. I have power down to the block from the battery, the block with the 30 amp fuse and the four prong plug. The fuse is good (tried two just to make sure) but with a good fuse shouldn't I have continuity across the other side? I guess I need to find my manual and see just what this block is. I've got two boxes of parts in here with miscellaneous odds and ends but no block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Well, seems as though it is my starter relay. Any way to test these to see if it's bad or not other than continuity across the two connections?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:11 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 V2KLT
Continuity across the coil would be where I would start, it should have some resistance but not much. I'm guessing there's a spec for it somewhere.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 10:18 PM

so when you turn the key you get lights and everything? just no start? just from experience with a 1600 nomad a buddy had he had a issue like this and ended up dickin around with the starter for a few days and even replaced it. still nothing. turns out the kill switch had a short in it which caused the problem. so if your starter ends up not being a issue might check there as well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Top Contributor

You can easy check the starter by jumping across the two big cables on the relay. Don't try to start it that way, just see if the starter engages. I have had loose wires in the fuse block, starter switch issues, kill switch issues etc which all affect the starting. Mostly corrosion/soap/salt contamination issues due to the riding conditions here. I use a spray called LectraSol to clean the contact areas. If you take the starter switch assembly apart, do it carefully. Mine had a tiny little spring under the contact strip that buggered off due to my arthritic fingers. Hands and knees with a magnet to find it.....

2004 VN2000
V&H Pipes
BAK, Mustang Seats, Scootworks Tour Trunk
HD Softail lowers, Memphis shield
Darkside Falken Zeix 205/65/16 rear, Bridgestone Excedra Max front
2008 900C as barhopper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode