Montana ride and an odd question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By V2K_Rod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Montana ride and an odd question

Ahoy-hoy, folks! Long time no visit......someone appears to have tried hacking into my profile so it took a bit to sort it out.....

I was gonna put this little story in Bubba's "Circle of Life" thread, but there's a new line of questions that goes along, so here goes:

My cousin and I took an impromptu ride down through Calgary to Montana. Went through Glacier Nat'l park, Logan's Pass and the Going to the Sun Highway. Fantastic ride (Not much son going on, but still great.) I got to really test some of the changes to the bike on a 1700 mile, 3 1/2 day ride.
The good: My new Mustang seat is worth it's weight in gold. No saddle fatigue at all....the original Corbin would've killed me after 200 miles (still for sale BTW!).
We had some washout-level downpours and my DS tire performed flawlessly and gave me a great feeling of comfort my bike tire did not. (Rainsuit works pretty good too....lol). My cousin rides a Suzuki M109R, and I kept up with him just fine, especially off the line. He says not many can. He was able to corner a bit more aggressively, but I was still able to leave pieces of my floorboard around Montana to remember me by.......

The not-so-good/weird: The first night we drove to Calgary, and when we got there I noticed the usual decel-popping was worse than normal. It sounded like I was sponsored by Orville Redenbacher.
It still ran fine, so I chalked it up to being pretty hot as we'd pushed pretty hard to make it to Cgy that night.
The next day the popping was still there, plus she wouldn't fire on the first push of the starter button. If I cranked it a few times, stopped, then cranked again it fired up. Hmmmmmmm...but she still started so we pushed on.

1/2 way between Pincher Creek AB and Waterton Lake Park, I had a "Brown Pants moment": My engine kicked up a helluva racket, thought I'd blown something. Turns out I lost a nut from my front exhaust flange, and it started rattling and popping on decel.
So, when I finally made it to Kalispell I was able to get another nut, some tools and put it back together. (Shout out to the Fastoys, the Kawi dealer there, they had just closed on a Friday night but opened up and helped me out....great bunch!)
So here't the thing: It immediately fixed the crazy popping, which I kinda figured would happen........but the one-push start was still MIA.
It kept doing that for the remainder of the trip. It always started, but there was a small worry in the back of my mind that she'd leave me hanging.

Has that ever happened to anyone else out there?

I haven' ridden since I returned last week, but to add to my confusion out of the blue on the way home from Edmonton, it suddenly began starting normally....2-3 turns and fires right up......I'll be giving her a good service and once over, but it's odd to me that the starting is temperamental like that and then appears to rectify itself. I'm happy she appears to be running fine but I'd like to nip any future issues in the bud if possible.

If you've made it through to the end of this diatribe, thanx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160708_152524-small.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	169802   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160708_152502-small.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	169810  

06 V2K Classic Lt
HardKrome Big Straights
Kurakyn Hypercharger Intake
Dynojet Power Commander 3
Mustang seats.......
Therapy on 2 wheels with a comfy seat...

Due to cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:41 PM
BOTM Winner
October 2016

The lower regulator/rectifier or its connection might be going out on you. If it doesn't charge the battery the way it's supposed to, you will have those tuff start moments. Check them soon, total failure will kill your battery. Had that issue already ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
rocnrol likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

OK, thanx!.....I'd thought that it might be an altitude thing, but the fact that it also showed up in Cgy kinda threw a wrench into that idea.......but it was pretty wet, so that might explain it.

I'll check out what to look for and take a boo at it shortly.

06 V2K Classic Lt
HardKrome Big Straights
Mustang seats.......

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Top Contributor

Sounds like you had a good ride despite the starting issue You might also want to take a look at the connections on the starter relay. I am no expert but the relay controls things like the decomp so it may very well have a voltage bypass to the injectors to compensate for the draw of the starter. After years of riding in the Alberta weather I have found that most of my connections have some mild corrosion issues and/or have shaken loose. Mostly my lights and the starter button but there are lots of wires on the left side that can be affected by salty water, especially with an aggressive DS throwing crap at them.

2004 VN2000
V&H Pipes
BAK, Mustang Seats, Scootworks Tour Trunk
HD Softail lowers, Memphis shield
Darkside Falken Zeix 205/65/16 rear, Bridgestone Excedra Max front
2008 900C as barhopper
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

So....that took an unexpected turn.
I haven't had a chance to ride since I got back from Montana between work and weather, but I went out to the shop twice and fired her up......and it started as good as it ever had.
Yesterday I decided to go for a ride into town with some seafoam and then do an oil change..........and it turned over but wouldn't start. First time ever.

Battery appeared strong the way it was turning over, but no hint of fire.

Gave it some time to rest, tried it again, same thing. Then came back out this AM and I have power when I cycle the key but the starter button is dead.........FML.

Any sage wisdom out there?

On a separate note, I did check the regulator......it was soaked in there. looks like the rubber plugs on the bottom connection worked themselves loose so it was full of black water. Nice! Cleaned it out with electrical contact cleaner, brushed it w/ a copper brush, pit some dialectric grease on and put it back together. If I can get it to start again, hopefully it'll work. The pics are after I took it apart and wiped off the plug....it was black like it'd been dipped in oil.(I was able to get the rubber plugs back in, hopefully it'll seal.....)

**EDIT** I took apart the ignition switch and cleaned it up, now she turns over again but still no vroom.................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_121524.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	170537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_121547.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	170545  

06 V2K Classic Lt
HardKrome Big Straights
Mustang seats.......

Last edited by TrentonC; 07-30-2016 at 02:30 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:04 PM
BOTM Winner
October 2016

When my lower regulator went out, it burned up the ground cable from both regulators up to the main harness. Thankfully it stopped there. I relocated them to the spot between the rear wheel and the transmission. No further issues since.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Did you just splice the harnesses to make them reach there? Kinda surprising that they don't still get hammered with water back there...........

06 V2K Classic Lt
HardKrome Big Straights
Mustang seats.......

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:35 PM
BOTM Winner
October 2016

I followed the wires from the rectifiers to that area on the opposite side. I replaced the burnt wires, extended all of others, and relocated the rectifiers.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM
BOTM Winner
October 2016

I am sure that water still hits it as its not completely enclosed. However, it is not in direct exposure to the elements, is sunk into the frame a little, and has some coverage on 5 of 6 sides.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

OK, thanx. That might be a winter project for me.
As for my no start, she's back in the road again. I can't be certain, but it felt/sounded like a fuel/sir issue more than Spark. I messed around in the hypercharger intake and pulled off the secondary butterflies while I was in there.
It fired up, although I did have to crack the throttle a bit. Since then it's been fine. Tide it to work this AM in fact.
I was paranoid about flooding it if I touched the throttle seeing as it's FI..... Is that maybe not much of an issue in these situations?
I'm glad it's running again, but I don't care for mysterious ghosts....... Too unpredictable and law of averages has them show up in the middle of nowhere.....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

06 V2K Classic Lt
HardKrome Big Straights
Mustang seats.......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode