How to access front fork??? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

How to access front fork???

Is there a simple way to lower this chrome boot without taking off the nacelle/fork assembly etc? It looks like it should just lower down the fork but I don't want to screw it up by wrenching on it. Do I just need to yank it down off that rubber seal thats on top?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:51 PM

What did you use to clamp you lowers on with RePickrel? Just Mounted up the ones I fabbed. Used the existing lower windshield slot up top and t-bolt clamps I polished at the bottom. Gotta refine the upper curve and get the finger prints off now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by copperhead232; 07-18-2016 at 04:44 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:39 PM

Ah, simple answer..Nup. The boot is foldded at the top. In it then held in place by rubbers either side all crushed between the top and bott0m fork clamps. I've just recently finished as front end rebuild. Not having stripped the front end or have instructions, wasn't too much of a drama. Total strip time of the front, approx two hours to everything in little pieces laid out everywhere. One suggestion, photograph everything as you go, helps with ensuring everything goes back correctly.

Cheers Ando

Enjoyin life out n about New Zealand, feet first, two up on our Vulcan two-point-O.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 04:50 AM

Garage
Do what Ando says

It works best

Enjoy Your Ride ( I do )
Terry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperhead232 View Post
What did you use to clamp you lowers on with RePickrel? Just Mounted up the ones I fabbed. Used the existing lower windshield slot up top and t-bolt clamps I polished at the bottom. Gotta refine the upper curve and get the finger prints off now!
Those look great! I just used a piece of 1" angle iron, used one of the existing windshield bolts and drilled another hole into the windshield bracket and bolted it there. I wouldn't have been able to ride long days without the lowers.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuaphuNZ View Post
Ah, simple answer..Nup. The boot is foldded at the top. In it then held in place by rubbers either side all crushed between the top and bott0m fork clamps. I've just recently finished as front end rebuild. Not having stripped the front end or have instructions, wasn't too much of a drama. Total strip time of the front, approx two hours to everything in little pieces laid out everywhere. One suggestion, photograph everything as you go, helps with ensuring everything goes back correctly.

Cheers Ando
I figured it wouldn't be so simple. I had a bad squeak coming from one of the fork seals, but no leaking oil. Wanted to clean off the fork tubes but didn't want to tear it all apart for a squeak. Instead I shot some wd-40 onto the fork tube from the bottom side of the fork cover and it actually seams to have worked...for now
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 04:06 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 V2KLT
I've got a clicking noise coming from the fork as it's compressed regardless if it's done slowly or fast. Somewhere on here I found it's from something up under the covers, I did the same thing shooting WD-40 up both of them and it quieted down for a while anyway. It started clicking again and I'm thinking about doing the job right and tearing everything down, but it does sound like a PITA especially when the WD-40 method works so much quicker.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:06 PM

Hmmm, bit odd the noise issue. I can't remember now if there was any nylon slider under the boot???????????? I know there is one, but for the life of me can't remember where it is located????

One thing I did find when I stripped the front end........................... Rust on the inner sides of the chrome boots. My forks and seals were covered in rust dust. I cleaned, sanded out and applied rust kill. I suspect due to constant cleans and rain riding, the insides of the boots are constantly wet, never get cleaned, polished or otherwise cared for exacerbates the rust issue.

My guess, the wd40 process only masks the issue. Whatever is causing it, if it were me, I would be doing a strip down to make sure things are not going to catch me out. As we all know, things have a habit of 'failure' in the middle of nowhere. One thing I would want to avoid is some failure in the front end that results in the bike putting me down on the tarmac.

A strip down will also allow for a good overall check, clean up, polish up and best of all, piece of mind.

Have fun, Ando.

Enjoyin life out n about New Zealand, feet first, two up on our Vulcan two-point-O.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode