• 1 Post By chanoc1077
  • 1 Post By copperhead232

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kaw Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 2000
Color: Black
Largest front tire size

Hello all - I have a 2006 V2K with a 240mm rear tire. It's my understanding that that is the largest rear tire you can use without having to modify anything. I think I'm going to have to change the front tire soon and wanted to know what the largest front tire that can be used without making modifications is. I have seen some use a 200mm front tire but I believe they had to widen the rim and fender and that's beyond my skills and wallet. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:52 PM
BOTM Winner
October 2016

Use a rear tire up front. Reverse the rotation to keep things safe. Should look fatter, but still a 150/80-16

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Interesting - so you're saying that a 150mm rear tire has a slightly fatter look than a 150mm front tire? I'm gonna go google rear tire on the front to research the reason reverse rotation is necessary. It's probably common knowledge so I don't want to appear as the noob I am by asking.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I also have a 180mm rear laying around. Anyone think that one would work without mods mounted in reverse?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K Does it matter what year??
Displacement/CC's: A Shitload
Color: Black+Gun Metal
Garage
I was at a certain point trying out the same thing, got a bit discouraged after hearing a tire much wider could (most probably) make the handling a little heavier. I did measure a 180 to try to fit it on the front rim but it seems that width of the fender at the narrowest point ( that be at the support points between the fork) would not fit, maybe even taking the fender off would be a hard fit so I held off for a while on the plan.
Turn to looking for 150 rear tires and finally decided on a Dunlop 401 Harley Dav touring tire, once I got it first thing I noticed is the tire was very stiff, like it has thicker walls, once installed it filled out the fender pretty nicely, noticeably more than the bridgestone it had b4.
I did mounted it reversed and at the same time did change the fork oil, I notice a big improvement in handling, so much so that even the rear feels easier to manage, I no longer feel the prescense of the wide car tire trying to straighten the bike up.
Overall very happy with the choice.
Co0terV2K likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Excellent info. Thanks to the two of you for your knowledge and expertise!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:31 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: V2K
Displacement/CC's: Plenty
Color: Pearl-titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanoc1077 View Post
I was at a certain point trying out the same thing, got a bit discouraged after hearing a tire much wider could (most probably) make the handling a little heavier. I did measure a 180 to try to fit it on the front rim but it seems that width of the fender at the narrowest point ( that be at the support points between the fork) would not fit, maybe even taking the fender off would be a hard fit so I held off for a while on the plan.
Turn to looking for 150 rear tires and finally decided on a Dunlop 401 Harley Dav touring tire, once I got it first thing I noticed is the tire was very stiff, like it has thicker walls, once installed it filled out the fender pretty nicely, noticeably more than the bridgestone it had b4.
I did mounted it reversed and at the same time did change the fork oil, I notice a big improvement in handling, so much so that even the rear feels easier to manage, I no longer feel the prescense of the wide car tire trying to straighten the bike up.
Overall very happy with the choice.
Chanoc, I have almost 15k on my HD 401 Dunlop rear up front now, and there are still no signs of wear, easily going to be a 25 to 30k mile tire! I am very happy with its results in handling an wear! Just put on my new rear CT tonight, had 13k on it and still had a ways to go but didn't want to worry about it so changed it anyways, that was my spare rim with an Mc tire on it', I took off a 1500 mile Mc tire off that rim, won't run another Mc tire again on this bike.... so I have a 75% good Mc tire sitn around if someone wants it. BTO20 Batalax.

Co0ter V2K

2007 V2K Classic LT
Cobra pipes
Cobra fatty highway bars
Kuryakin pegs
Double Darkside
Poncho Villa custom backrest
Patriot Gaurd Rider
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:19 AM

Just to chime in, chanoc is square on about the appearance and handling by going darkside up front. I'm currently running a 205/55-16 general gmax as-03 in back. With a b.stone excedra max up front it had a tendency to want to stay verticle. I put a shinko 230 tourmaster rear, turned backwards and now truly can't feel any difference from having a mc tire on in back. Is it because of the front or did I just get used to things, dunno. Still won't turn from the darkside!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Silencer69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode